1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Low Priced Power Amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JoeVictim, Sep 23, 2008.

1. BS specs. Advertising a 140W amp as a 1000W amp (momentarily) is BS. There are a few other specs on there that set off alarm bells.

If those amps fell on musicians from a great height they would be hurting musicians. Hope this helps.

2. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    +1, but that is not just BS, it is heinous and shameful.

If you want a "real" amp for super cheap, get a used Carvin DCM. There are some other good deals on older used power amps in the TB Classifieds. And if you prefer to buy new, a new Carvin DCM is still pretty darn inexpensive.

3. LesS

LesS

Mar 3, 2006
    no longer a member
    In the ad, the Gemini GPA-4000 amp has "4,000 Watt Momentary Peak Output".
    (It actually is 200w RMS per channel at 8 ohms.)
    Hopefully, no-one will believe that a $250 amp is 4,000 watts.

The Gemini brand has been used by DJ's for years - I don't know how good it is, though.

4. The Behringer EP amps are pretty good. Dont let the name fool you, they are one of the few behringer products that are rated pretty good :)

5. Hizzoner

Hizzoner

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago area
    picked up a lightly used qsc plx for around 300 bucks...lightweight and tons of power
    MB

6. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I'm SoonerMatt, and I approve this message. Carvin is extremely underrated in the amp department.

7. levis76

levis76 Seconds from getting ba...

Apr 14, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    I got my QSC RMX 1450 used for $200. It's a bit on the heavy side, but it does put out 1400W into 4ohms when bridged mono.

8. cabrego

cabrego Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2007
    I've put hundreds of four hour gigs indoors and out in south texas heat on my Behringer EP 2500's. I bought the two of them to replace a QSC PLX that crapped out. I got twice the power for the price of fixing the QSC. Three years and no problems yet.

9. So Behringer has a couple of things going for them Eh? What seems weird is it won't run a 4 ohms mono, only 2 ohms mono?
    no 8 ohm operation....seems suspicious. Any thoughts on the Carvin HD series, or only the DCM's are good?

10. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Most (if not all) of the Carvin DCM's will run 4 ohms mono, I'm not sure where you see otherwise.

11. Sorry, I know the Carvin specs, I get their mag...I couldn't change my response in time...I was refering to the suspicious workings of the behringer.

12. Vinny D

Vinny D

Jan 9, 2007
    Warwick, RI
    You get what you pay for;)

13. That is USUALLY true...I like my $180 2-12" cab made from Birch. 600 watts at 4 ohms, and real nice sounding. It's no Aggie, but I like it. So, Berh will not do 8 ohms? weird!

14. i have a QSC RMX2450 that is a great amp for only $300. Used is the way to go, if you can find one in decent shape that you know hasn't had the complete crap beat out of it.

Those specs are like ebayers who list a 1986 peavey mark VIII at 800 watts because they're going by the power consumption listed at the plug. Shady!

15. Tapco is IIRC made by Mackie so I suspect that they would be OK. As a long time user of Carvin equipment I'd suggest you look at their DCM series of power amps. Good value at a great price point. I own: DCM150, DCM1204, DCM100 and DCM1500. All good amplifiers.

Paul

16. Enlightening. This is exactly what I was looking for. So, Tapco is to Mackie what Squier is to Fender...basically. I was looking at an old Carvin mag, they don't make the HD1800 anymore...that was a great little value.

I may be coming into some money and I am trying to concoct a one amp solution for any possible gig I may have, indoors and outdoors. So the obvious choice is poweramp and pre setup. We'll, when the day comes, I will definantly start quizing you guys.

17. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Not exactly. Tapco and Mackie are separate brands that are both owned by one parent company (LOUD). I suspect they are made in the same factory though. Mackie used to be "like" MIA Fender several years ago, but now Mackie itself is more "like" Squier, not a step up from Tapco.

18. cabrego

cabrego Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2007
    With one of my bands I use a Behringer EP2500 to power two JBL MRX525's at 4 Ohms per side parallel. With my other band I use two EP2500's. Each one is powering a JBL SRX-725 bridged at 4 Ohms. I've never had a problem with one of these amps. I have had problems with other brands of amps before. I guess I'm just lucky.

19. bassbrock

bassbrock

Feb 20, 2007
    Callahan, FL
    -1 Not sure where you got this from.

I have two Behringer EP2500 amps and I run them at 4 ohms bridged mono at 2400 watts all the time. My main setup is one Behringer EP2500 into a pair of parallel wired 8 ohm Acme B4s - gives me a 4 ohm load to the Behringer amp which is set to bridged mono. It also runs at 8 ohms bridged mono as well as 8 ohms stereo, 4 ohms stereo and 2 ohms stereo.

Bridging mono at 4 ohms is basically the left and right channel of the amp seeing a 2 ohm load each. 2 ohms mono is near impossible as that would be a 1 ohm load to each side of the amp and that is nearly a short circuit.

Oh, and I concur with the other posters here, those Gemini amps are crap... they are showing you their peak output rather than their RMS or program material outputs.