Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

low profile bridge for neck thru

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by godoze, Nov 30, 2002.

1. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    i'm building a neck thru 6 string and would like some suggestions on a low profile bridge. Thanks:)

2. iam all so would like some info. sorry if iam high jacking ur post.

iam making a fretless bass.i plan on making a bridge like the ones on ct basses.not the wooden one with saddles the one that is a strip of wood that the string sit on like saddles.like on claypool's rainbow bass. its like a acoustic guitar/bass bride but just the saddle part. all i need to know is how far away it should be from then nut on the g and e strings.

3. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    I haven't found a real low profile bridge. Probably the lowest would be.... Schaller roller or Schaller 2000. Worst comes to worst, you can recess the bridge into the wood to get it low enough.

As for the other post, you can't tell how the bridge should be positioned until you get the bass strung up. Theoretically, it should be the scale length, but string height and angle that it comes at the saddle come into play so the only reliable way to place the bridge is to string up the bass.

4. so i should just string it up and hope the strings will keep it against the body so i can move it to find the best place.

5. FBB Custom

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    If you have the strings running through a seperate tailpiece, then the only real forces on the saddle will push down on it. Once you get it intonated, you can mark the spot and glue it down with the strings off.

6. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Since it is a fretless, I wouldnt worry to much about the position as long as it doesnt have fretlines.

I would say that you could juts put is somewhere near the point determined by scale legnth and let your ears do the intonating, not the bridge.

Peace
    Nick

7. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    well, what i am concerned about is the fact that since i am building a neck thru and the neck will not have any angle built in, I want to make sure that I have a bridge that will allow me to attain the proper action. Does that make sense ? since there is no neck angle buit in to compensate for a high saddle i need to make sure that i use the right bridge or the thing may turn out to be unplayable !:)

8. Jon Maghini

Jon Maghini Commercial User

Aug 15, 2002
    USA Terryville CT.
    Owner / Builder M Basses
    By not using any angle on your neck, your pickups will end up almost flush with the top of your bass.
    Also if you want a very low profile bridge the smoothest way would be to recess it into the top.
    I would lay a straight edge along your fingerboard and get a height measurement at the bridge line,
    therefore you can determine how deep to recess you bridge...

9. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Says who?

As long as the neck and fingerboard are high enough off the body, the pickups and the rest of the hardware will be fine sitting where they normally do.

Peace
    Nick

10. FBB Custom

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Well, the pickups sit about 1/4" below the strings. Maybe your fingerboard is sitting high enough off the plane of the body not to have to worry about production bridges. I usually work with a 1/4" fingerboard and a 1/8" neck step for Hipshot and ABM bridges. If I were you, I'd get one of those and if it's too high, cut a recess for the bridge to sit in. Most production bridges that I have used are in that 3/8" high range.

11. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    what do you mean by "1/8" neck step ?" Is this the part of the neck that sits above the body ? If this is the case then my neck blank should not be carved to the exact thickness of the body but should be some degree thicker ?

12. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    Yep, that's it. If you are not going to use an angle then the top of your neck blank (the surface where you are going to glue the fingerboard) should stand proud of the bass top in order to offer he strings at a correct height for the bridge.

Peace, JP

13. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002