Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

low riders

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by loma, Nov 23, 2003.

1. loma

loma

Sep 27, 2003
    what does everyone think of DR low riders on a 5 stringer.?

2. I used the DR tights and low riders for a # of years, I had an endorsement. I swore by them for many years and I loved the tone.

Over the past couple of years I began using the Thomastik brand.

Now, I suggest to others to try their Power Bass Series. I think they have the fullest tone spectrum out there.

[​IMG]
    Treena

3. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Well I don't have an endorsement, but the Army Band I am in has three bass players and Dr. Lo Riders are the only thing we all agree on. We can buy any strings we want, and we all pick Dr Lo Riders. The string to string balance, tone and consistancy make for a fantastic product. When it comes to recording or road use, nothing has stood up better for us. We have added some of the Marcus Miller Fat Beams too. They add a little zip but still have the solid lows and great mids of the Lo Riders. We use Music Man SR5's, Modulus Q 5's, Roscoe 5's and Ken Smith 5 string basses and the strings work perfectly on all the basses we have. If they made upright strings, we would buy them too. We have gotten a few sets with dead strings but we called Dr and they sent us replacement sets, no questions asked. I am the supply SGT for the band and we spend about $1000.00 a year or more on bass strings and Dr's and the occasional set of flats are all we buy.

Big question for you though is what kind of music are you looking to play. It makes a big difference to what kind of string you use, IMHO. We play all styles in the Army Band, from Salsa to Country and Jazz to Rock, the Dr's are great for everything we do save the times when we use flats for the Motown ect.

Good luck

scott

4. Do any DR's come with a tapered B string?

5. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I have seen tappered DR's. They were called LONG SCALE.

6. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    That's what I use on my 5, I use DR's on all my basses.

7. DB5

DB5

Jul 3, 2001
    Austin Texas
    DR Lo riders for me thank you. :bassist:

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

DR Long necks have tapered B, E, and A strings.

9. loma

loma

Sep 27, 2003