Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

low slung bass guitar player

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Blunk, Mar 19, 2003.

1. Blunk

Blunk

Aug 14, 2002
    Maybe this is in the wrong place - sorry! - but i was just wondering who was the first bass (or just) guitarist to have their guitar slung low - i mean *low*.

Whenever i think of it i always think of Krist Novoselic but there must've been people doing it before him. And guitar wise i always think of Slash from G'n'R!

I know this is quite an unusual question, it just popped into my head there while i was practicing.

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I don't know....

but I know it was trendy WAY before the 90's!

this guy for one did it before Slash could carry a les paul
    [​IMG]

3. Why? Slinging your bass low will only lead to damage, man. Trust me.

4. Blunk

Blunk

Aug 14, 2002
    i don't sling my bass low, i'm 6'5 so it may seem low to other people but its at the perfect height for me just about at my belt buckle.

i was just wondering who was the first person to "wear" their bass low thats all!

5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I guess whomever was the first big name who couldn't play for crap/was a chord-junkie.

For the few who actually could play, they always had to brace the instrument on top of their leg to get the height needed to riff, (a la Slash).

First I ever saw really low was Dennis Dunaway of Alice Cooper. It was around his knees but he was so tall and skinny, he just bent over to go down to the strings instead of bringing them up to his best playing height.

6. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Lord knows how important this issue is.

8. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    The very 1st night I had a bass(12-25-72)...I go over a friend's to 'jam' with his guitar-playing older brother.
    My Epiphone bass with the red dove/peace sign strap is slung ala Dennis Dunaway. The guitar player sez to me, "Look, Keller...you can't look cool & play the bass at the same time".
    (I thought to myself, "Yeah, yeah, yeah"). ;)

Anyway-
    Paul Jackson of Headhunters' fame wears his bass pretty low; was he the first? No.

How 'bout the guys that wear their bass like a bowtie?

9. Yea I hate slinging my bass below my belt. I cant Slap when its in that position and it hurts your arm after awhile of having to stretch down and pluck or pick, I realize its for looks and such but still it really isnt that egronomical. If a band told me I couldnt play in it unless I slung it low I'd leave right then and there.

10. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    :D :D :D

11. Wow . Sarcasm . What an original concept .

12. I'd say I have my basses about waist height .

Anything to avoid looking like a fusion geek .

:D

13. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    The earliest bass guitarist I can think of the top of my head would be Dee Dee Ramone?

14. Sid Vicious wore his bass pretty low.

15. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Last time I saw Paul Jackson (at Glastonbury for a Headhunters reunion) he had his bass pretty damn high, at about the same height as Jaco.

Alex

16. Basses were worn at average height until the British Beat boom, when bands like Gerry and the Pacemakers wore guitars and basses very high. For the acid era they were back to average, then the early hard-rock/metal bands started dropping them. The first I can remember to be extremely low were the Pistols, Ramones, Clash etc, around '75(?)

17. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Yeah - The Ramones are the earliest I can think of. The Clash & The Pistols didn't come on the scene until 76/77 I believe.

But, IMO, wearing your bass low not only makes playing much harder, not only makes risk of injury much higher, but looks pretty lame too.

So I can't think of any reason to do it!

18. Nah , wearing basses high looks lame.

Really lame .

It's either lok like a geek or a poser .

What a dilemma.

19. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Sling it low, wreck your left wrist.
    Strap it high, wreck your right wrist.
    Wear it in the middle, nobody will hire you.

Can't win for loose. :rolleyes:

A. D. Fairhurst likes this.
  20. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Cool.
    Check out the pictures of Jackson on Black Octopus or either of those Headhunters sans Herbie discs.