Low String Tension in Standard Tuning

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ShallowBayXI, Jan 11, 2015.

1. So... I have a Schecter Omem 5 Extreme, a cool little 5 string I picked up used a while back. It has stwndard gauge stings (.130 to .45), but tuned to standard, the strings sound like I tried to tune my 4 string bass to drop A.. The strings are really really loose. My 4 string Stingray with .115 to .45 gauge stings can handle the BEAD tuning significantly better than my 5 string, which is a joke to me. I've thought about getting a .
    .135 gauge sting set for it to compensate, but is there any way around this? I'd recently taken it to guitar center for a setup and left it overnight, but because I wasn't actually there, I didn't exactly get to specify much other than that I wanted low action... Any ways to fix this, short of thicker strings?

2. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
  3. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Sorry, no. The only things governing string tension are distance from nut to bridge, pitch the string is tuned to, and string gauge.

4. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Also consider Hex core Vs. Round core. That will give a firmer feel.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021