1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Low Sustain for High "B"

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Beejay772, Oct 8, 2013.

1. Beejay772

Beejay772

Oct 8, 2013
    Something that is starting to infuriate me is a lack of sustain for a B played on the D strng. There are many songs that I want to use this particular note for but it just dies.
    Thinking it was just a quirk of my Washburn XB 800 I got myself an SX Custom Jazz. But I found the same thing.
    I also have an old Maison that I picked up years ago and that has the same problem. 1 fret either side of the B has great sustain on all 3 but the B just doesn't cut it. Even the Aria pro that was my first bass had the problem but I thought that was because it was a cheap bass.
    Has anyone else struck this or am I the unluckiest bassist of all time?

B.

2. St. Louis Scot

St. Louis Scot

Sep 16, 2013
    Austin, Tx
    That is odd. Most of our repertoire is in Amaj and Dmaj, so I go to that B quite a bit, and let it ring out. Whether I use my Aria ProII or EBMM, it's one of my sweetest notes.

Now, on my Johnson "kick-around" every note is a dead note, so... ya know.

Are you running effects or a compressor? Those could be affecting certain frequencies.

3. Beejay772

Beejay772

Oct 8, 2013
    Not running any effects.
    Still have same problem thru usb interface and headphones.
    Could it be something to do with the setup of the strings?
    I Know that its not the frequency of the b as a b played anywhere else on the bass is fine.

4. nolezmaj

nolezmaj Supporting Member

Sep 22, 2011
    Europe
    How good is sustain one fret up or down from B, on the same string? And the open D string?
    If every other note on the same string sustains normal, you could have a "dead spot" (matching of resonant frequences of head and neck, and canceling each other as result - look it up on forum search).
    Putting a little weight on bass head could cancel this, and allow full sustain for that note. Experiment with this and tell us what happens.

5. you have a dead spot

6. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

Classic dead spot. Common malady on that string in that area 4 - 7th ish fret area. Many of us suffer this. Enjoy.

7. fibonacci1618

fibonacci1618

Sep 23, 2013
  8. Beejay772

Beejay772

Oct 8, 2013
    Had a look at the article - interesting - I will look into it further.
    Cheers.

9. moles

moles

Jan 24, 2007
    Winnipeg, MB
    I've never had an issue with that particular note, but the E on the same fret on the G string...yikes.
    A couple of basses I owned with the dead spot really benefited from a well adjusted truss rod. Too much neck bow really brought the dead spot out, while flattening the action helped greatly, and even pretty much eliminated it altogether on one bass.

10. Spiffmeister

Spiffmeister Meister of the Spiffs

Apr 26, 2012
    Belgium
    I recently discovered my very first dead spot, the D on the G-string, 7th fret, on my Gibson Thunderbird, a bass with massive amounts of sustain.
    I was quite proud at first, actually, my very first dead spot! Nów I'm a true bassist!

Haven't bothered fixin' it yet though, might as well be a setup, strings or EQ issue.