1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Low temperature storage for cabinets

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Eckie, Dec 7, 2016.

1. Eckie

Eckie

Jan 14, 2004
    Edinburgh, UK
    I'm currently keeping my Fender 410 in my garage where temperatures at this time of year can dip below freezing - probably as low as -5 degress Celcius. Are there any issues with this ?

It's inside a Hotcover canvas cover with velcro strapping so quite a tight fit

2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

No issues at all but I would let the cabinet warm up to room temperature before pumping juice into it.

Munjibunga, BluesOnBass, TomB and 3 others like this.
  3. Care to explain the science behind your quote? Why would you let the cabinet to 'warm up'?

4. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    When it comes to cold weather, the number one cab killer is condensation after being brought into a warm room. If the cab does not have ample time to warm up after being left in the cold, the dampness of the speakers will cause them to tear easily when pumped full of power. Also, water plus electricity equals bad. I only know this because I, too, recently worried that my gigging cab would suffer from being left in the cold, so I did a ton of research. I will try to find some links for you.

5. Rick James

Rick James

Feb 24, 2007
    New Jersey
    Cold makes the driver suspensions stiff. A bit of warming up isn't a bad idea.

6. Condensation................

Water in your voice coil or crossover/highpass components not good.

Bodeanly and BasturdBlaster like this.
  7. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    We get a lot of condensation here bringing cold stuff inside, but varies with conditions. More like Danish weather than UK weather. We hit -20C in the winter and have to humidify indoors or we dry up like apple slices on a barn roof, so stuff sweats when we bring it in. Spring and Fall, stuff in my garage sweats just sitting there.

8. I don't think it would be good for the cabinet itself. I imagine the glue at the joints would start breaking down over time due to the expansion and contraction.

petrus61 likes this.
  9. I have been storing my 6x10 in my garage for years, with no apparent issues. It gets a bit colder here in Toronto, than I would guess most of Europe!
    As noted above, be sure to give the cab some time to acclimate to the room, before putting any power into it. Also, be sure to raise the cab off the floor to allow for proper air flow around the cab when it is being stored.
    Since sound production companies travel in all types of weather and do so in non climate controlled environments with little to no affect on the equipment, I'm saying all will be well, if you follow common sense.
    Fishheadjoe

10. JGbassman

JGbassman Supporting Member

May 31, 2011
    Iowa
    I don't think you will have any issues, as stated, just let it warm up for a while before you apply power. A good rule is warm to the touch.

I toured with a backline in a trailer for two years in every conceivable weather without any issues.

11. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

There is the obvious condensation issues but cold drivers will break if pushed. I live in an area with rednecks and extreme cold. You have no idea how many subwoofers I have seen ruined because people hop in their trucks and blast it.

dazmond and salcott like this.
  12. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    I left a pair of my Acme 2x10s in my van overnight. Set them up the following evening and did not allow them time to reach room temperature. I dropped a Low B into them and cracked a surround on one driver in each cabinet. The surrounds were cold and brittle. The drivers needed to be replaced.

DiabolusInMusic likes this.
  13. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    My rule is to not store instruments or equipment in a place where I wouldn't leave a pet or myself.

14. climber

climber

Oct 21, 2006
    I've been living in northern New Hampshire for 20 years. I keep all my band gear in the garage where in the winter it is easily 0 or below. Frankly I've never thought about it as far as speaker cabinets go. I load the stuff into my heated van and drive 45 minutes to the gig, load in, setup and play. I have on occasion considered that it might be a good idea to let my GB Streamliner 900 tube amp warm up before I turn it on. however, that just naturally happens with the drive and the time it takes to setup.

IMNSHO people are overthinking this stuff...

Pocket4 and mwbassace like this.
  15. What about the reverse situation...is there an opportunity to damage amp/cabs if they're left in the cold after being used (put away warm into a cold environment ie: from stage to car and left overnight in -temps)...
    I once left my practice amp overnight in my car and left it acclimatize for over an hour in the house before turning it on...when I did there was a loud crackle sound...never heard before nor since...

16. grinx

grinx

Mar 24, 2003
    Raleighwood, NC
    I ruined the voice coils in 3 speakers from leaving a cabinet in a barn (semi-insulated) for months and using it 1-2x a week without properly letting it warm up. when you pushed on the speaker cones, you could feel the resistance and hear scratching contact noise in the coils.

17. alembicguy

alembicguy I operate the worlds largest heavey equipment Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Minnesota
    This seems to pop up every year at this time. I have stored my cabinets in all configurations and of all brand of manufacturers for over 30 years in a unheated space year round. Summers can be hot and winters for my area can see -30 below zero. Never had a problem or a breakdown of components or cabs ever due to this. The ride to a gig in a heated vehicle allows me to get in set up and play immediately.

gelinas666, Eckie and Bodeanly like this.
  18. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    In the 90s, the only time my cab left the van was for gigs, all year round, midwest weather. The cab still lives today, but is too heavy for me to schlep. The head never stayed in the van, so cannot help with that.

Benny the Finger and alembicguy like this.
  19. jumbodbassman

jumbodbassman Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Stuck in traffic -NY & CT
    Born Again Tubey
    heated car ride seems to work for me for 40 plus years.

climber and salcott like this.
  20. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    Hmmm ... can you still get a warm tone out of a cab from cold storage ...

temperature is not a problem. Humidity, rodents, could be ...

Eckie likes this.