1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Low-tempo exercise

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by 5str, Aug 11, 2012.

1. 5str

5str

Nov 3, 2009
    Last week I noticed that when playing a low tempo song, my plucking hand hits the string just a few miliseconds before the beat, when I have to play quarter, half or whole notes (think of a doom metal song for example, where it takes time from a note to the next one). However, this doesn't happen when I play a faster tempo song, based mostly on eighths or sixteenths. As a result it sounds wrong, and despite my efforts to hit a little after, I can't accomplish yet a thing. Does anyone have any exercises that can help me hit the note EXACTLY on the beat, and not even a little after, or a little before?

2. Hi 5str, very slow tempo's are actually very dificult to play and need a lot of practice, the only way really is to practice subdividing the beats in your head, either into 8th or 16th notes and 3's for triplet feels. Its very good practice to work the other way with a metronome, not only to play faster but also slower. Start with a scale over 1 octive in quater notes at say 92 bpm, when it's sounding solid and on time start reducing tempo try 80 bpm, when that's good reduce again try 72 bpm, with slow long notes they can sound weak and off time if you are unsure so practice until you are getting nice strong positive notes that are in time, once you are there reduce again try 63 bpm. Once you get to about 60 bpm try practice subdividing, start by seting the metronome to 120 bpm but play half notes practice counting twice as fast as you are playing, when this feels ok go back to 60 bpm and play quater notes but counting 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & in your head to keep the notes in time, reduce again when ok, try 50 bpm if you struggle with the subdivision go to 100 bpm and play half notes for a while then go back to 50 bpm. Whole notes and half notes can be divided in the same way. For triplet rithym you will need to divide into 3's. Slow timing takes a lot of practice, it's something you would need to work on each day as part of a practice routine.