Low Tension Flat Wounds

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by madjazzbass, Aug 3, 2017.

1. madjazzbass

madjazzbass Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2014
    Earth
    Besides the Labella LTF's, What are some other choices for a good Low Tension Flat wound set? Preferably 45-105 or ? maybe a little thicker guage; right now I have a set of Fender flats on one of my Jazzes (45-105), and although they're not super stiff, I'd like to find some Flats with a little more give/flexibility to them. What other choices are out there? Thanks.

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    45-105 or bigger isn't gonna get you low tension.

3. Dunlop Flats are more flexible/supple than most flats due to their smaller-than-average core size.

PawleeP and madjazzbass like this.
  4. hotbass57

hotbass57

Nov 27, 2011
    Fairfield,Ohio
    TI's but no where near that 45-105 gauge. I love my Labella LTF's have them on 2 basses and TI's on my jazz.

5. Mechayoshi

Mechayoshi

Dec 7, 2015
    Tennessee
    Use 40-100?

6. dagrev

dagrev Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Kentucky
    I read the gauge you wanted, but...you know, I find my set of GHS Precision Flats (.045-.095) to be pretty flexible and limber. Nothing I've tried feels like as flexible as TIs, but these seem to go in that direction for me. They also happen to be them smoothest, best feeling flat I ever recall playing.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
    e-flat likes this.
  7. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    I use TiJF344 and Labella LTF-4A.
    If you looking for closest tone and round core to LTF4A but bigger gauge, i recommand DR Hi-beam Legend 45-105. They are all broke in sound out from pack, smooth and less stiff than GHS M3050.
    Flat for Jazz bass , i prefer Sadowsky Black label flat 40-100.

Hope help.

madjazzbass likes this.
  8. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    LaBella 760FL

9. Why not LTF Labellas? Have put a 40-100 set on my Warwick ProSeries Star Bass 2 days ago. Have Chromes and Fender Flats on some of my other basses and a P with the heavy gauge high tension Jamerson Set from Labella.

Soundwise the Labella LTFs are very very good. They don't feel floppy in any way, don't have less or much less tension than the Fender or Chromes sets. But much less tension than the Jamerson set and sound nearly as good. Better in a way than the Fender and Chromes - but maybe the bass plays a role, too.

10. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    Labella Low Tension
    TI Jazz Flat
    GHS Precision light set

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021