Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Low tension, hot sound?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Aaron Saunders, Nov 7, 2003.

1. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Well, I'm modding my bass with some Seymour Duncan Hot for P and Hot for J p'ups, an Aguilar OBP-3 preamp, and a Leo Quann Badass II bridge. I like low tension, 'cause I love bending those strings (I'm trying to work my way up to my teacher -- he can get a minor third past the original note!) but the strings with low tension that come to mind are automatically Thomastik-Infeld. I've never personally used TI strings, but the reputation of them doesn't seem like the sound would really further this. I've heard good things about LaBella Supersteps or something like that, but LaBella's an expensive string brand and I don't have the money to buy $65 strings only to take them off because I don't like the sound. My question is as follows: What are some moderately priced (up to $60 CAD) strings with low tension with lots of treble and mids?

2. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I'm a low tension fan myself. Everyone mentions that the TI's have the lowest tension, but from my experience, the Zon Ultrasonic, Light Guage, SS set seem to be the lightest that I have played.
    They last for a long time as well. The zing that normally disappears after about a few hours of use was still there for at least a week. They also break in quite well and don't go dead all of a sudden. They aren't the cheapest strings, but they are worth it IMO. The downside is that they are hard to find, and really, nobody stocks them. Lucky for me though, I live close to the Zon factory, so I just drop in and buy the from Joe myself.

3. I've fallen for TI JR344. My sound man's a bass player and he went nuts over them. Called the sound awesome. He hardly ever calls anything awesome. They are the fattest, most fluid sounding strings I've ever played. They didn't sound too great on my passive P, but on my pieces-parts bass with Alembic PJ Activators, they're simply incredible. I feel a little guilty. A couple months ago, I played a P with flats. Now I just take the PJ so the P's just getting dusty, and it's the best P I ever played. These strings are killer for picking, everything's so smooth and connected. And when I hang with the horns, I sound like one of them. Simply incredible.

4. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Mmmm, TI it is! Thanks.

5. You can get them online at THE DUDEPIT

[​IMG]
    Treena

6. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    A little late, Treena! I've got some JR344's sitting on my bed two and a half feet away ^_^. A local store put an order in a few minutes before I went in, so they just added it to the order and I got them a couple days ago.

7. I think you will really like your new strings, enjoy them!

[​IMG]
    Treena

8. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I'll get back to you on that -- I won't have them on for a long time! They're going on with the new pickups and preamp, and it'll be a good week or so before the preamp gets in stock, and then a couple days later until I get it back.