1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Low Tension Steels

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by grooveguru, Feb 28, 2008.

1. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    Is there a set of Steels that are very low tension?

2. jmceachern36

jmceachern36 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2005
    Cambridge MA
    Corelli's are very low. Spiro Weichs are a nice tension (not as low as Corelli's) and sound great.

3. starks :bag:

4. Your profile doesn't mention double-bass.
    Didn't you post on the wrong side of the forum?...

5. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    No I own and play both. Right forum

6. koricancowboy

koricancowboy Ausberto Acevedo Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2003
    chicago
    Flatchrome steels

7. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    I've heard of some folks playing solo Superflexibles or Spiros tuned down to orchestra pitch. That said, I found Spiro Weichs to be fairly low tension. The Corellis someone else mentioned are low in tension ... I used them on an EUB once upon a time. And, I think some of the Jargar steels are pretty low tension, but I've never played them.

Good luck

8. animas though copper (I think) not steel are low tention metal strings

9. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    They're copper windings over a synthetic core. I think the OP is looking for all-steel ... although I may be wrong?

Cheers

10. One more for your list....
    Helcore Pizz Medium is similar in tension (low) to the Spirocore Weichs and Corelli TX 380's but doesn't have as much twang as the Weich. Very easy to play too.
    However that does not mean that the Helicore will sound good on YOUR bass. You'll have to experiment with a single string to find out how they sound.