1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Low Tension: the ultimate take..or kinda of

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by meekee73_2008, Mar 24, 2009.

1. meekee73_2008

meekee73_2008

Feb 20, 2009
    ok guys, don't be cruel: done a lot of search before posting this..and got lot of juicy info indeed

Leaning on many of your suggestions in past similar threads i went with DR HighBeams but..as, some of you warned, these ones imho have a marked "scooped" taste that doesnt make my day at all

my needs are:

low tension
    not scooped
    warm
    with an enhanced low-mid edge, to cut the mix but, obviously, not boomy-like

DR Lo-Riders are so stiffer than HB?

maybe TI Jazz Rounds can make my day?

thanks, really

Michele

2. ErebusBass

ErebusBass

Feb 20, 2008
    Madison, WI
    Lo-riders.

3. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    Lo Riders will have more tension than the Hi Beams.

I suggest Sunbeams, for a traditional feeling round. Good mids, low tension (they are round core).

The lowest tension rounds I have played are the TI Jazz Rounds. Like the TI Flats, they are unique in my experience. Super slinky and pliable. Must use a light touch. Great strings. Probably the string you are looking for.

4. TI Jazz Flats

5. Buskman

Buskman

Apr 13, 2007
    Jersey Shore, USA
    +1

6. Maybe I'm biased (I DO have TI strings on all my basses...), but I think the TI Jazz Rounds will make your day :D

7. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    BIG +1 for DR Sunbeams.

Another plus to the Sunbeams is that while they aren't the brightest roundwound (being nickels), that brightness lasts the longest of any roundwound I've ever play on.

They meet all of your criteria...

low tension - like butter
    not scooped - very present mids without harsh highs.
    warm - very warm sounding.
    with an enhanced low-mid edge, to cut the mix but, obviously, not boomy-like - Not boomy at all, unless you EQ that in.

8. Mr. Ray

Mr. Ray

Feb 20, 2009
    Canada
    Keep in mind that different basses will react/sound differently to different strings. That being said I didn't really like the Sunbeams but I do like the Hi Beams on my 08 Fender Jazz. My favorite nickel is the Fender 7250 I would say they do not have any more tension than Sunbeams..maybe a little less (it's close). They are a full sounding warm string and play great...standard issue on all US Fenders.

9. I love them.
    Is the tension on these comparable to DRs?

10. (b)Assman

(b)Assman

Jun 22, 2008
    Champaign, IL
    I'm in the same situation and seems people recommend the TI jazz's but I'm gonna give the Sunbeams a go.

11. adube810

adube810

Mar 6, 2008
    Brooklyn, NY
    sadowsky blue nickels