Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Low Tension, Thicker strings with growl?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by JAS, May 27, 2005.

1. JAS

JAS

Jul 3, 2001
    California
    Has anyone found strings yet that are low tension, thicker than regular steel strings, have growl, and are bowable?

I am still stuck with the Eurosonic Ultra Lights. They have been better than everything else I've tried, but not totally what I want.

I guess the Animas were close, but still were weird. They were a little too low tension and were eating up my fingerboard after just a day. The Eurosonic E is little too thick and they don't bow well. The tension is O.K.

I just tried Corelli 380 TX. I though they were more tension than what I am looking for, and a little too thin. The Eurosonics also have much more character to the sound. I am going to try the Corelli 380 meds. They will probably be too thin, but maybe the tension will be better.

Before the Eurosonics, I was using Obigato solos tuned down. They were nice, but lacked deffinition.

2. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Innovations 140H?
    (the synthetic solid core ones)

3. JAS

JAS

Jul 3, 2001
    California
    I thought the Inovations were pretty high tension. Am I wrong about that?

4. Francois Blais

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    I've found the Braided ones to be stiffer.
    Well, our perception is stiffness maybe quite different!

A low tension string is usually thinner, so you're asking for something quite unsual!
    Gut strings are low tension and thicker but may not growl much.
    Pirastro Eudoxas or Pizzicatos might fit the bill though!

5. Michael Glynn

Michael Glynn

Feb 25, 2004
    Seattle
    I used the Innovation 140H D and G for a while with Helicore Pizz E and A. The Innovations were definitely thicker than steel strings and a little lower tension, but they lost their growl quickly and then sounded kind of dead. I actually started getting comments from people that my strings didn't sound matched.

Right now I'm trying Kolstein Heritage G,D and A with Pirastro Jazzer E. These blend pretty well so far (they've been on for a few months) and the Kolsteins still have a nice growl. Low tension and easy to bow as well. But....they aren't much thicker than a steel string.

6. JAS

JAS

Jul 3, 2001
    California
    I am going to try these. I just spoke with H.E. Woolsey. He is the guy who designed and enegeniered these strings. He is 80 years old and he has played bass his whole life frustrated with string tensions and thickness. He also is an engeneer. He says these strings really sing (referring to the growl) played pizzicato. Also they are suposed to be even tension across all four strings. I am going to give them a chance. I may as well, I've tried almost everything else. He seems to have gone through the same frustrations that I am going through, and he seems too really care about this issue.

Thanks for the tip on that website.

7. JohnThomasson

JohnThomasson Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Mesa Boogie, DR Strings, Fender, Source Audio & Fishman
    Cool, I was wishing someone here would be the guinea pig for these strings.

8. Francois Blais

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    I went on his website to check for a G string.
    I emailed the guy with questions about lenght versus my instrument. (EUB)
    After that I checked on his website and saw that shipping for a string to Canada was about $15!
    I emailed back and told him I'm paying $4 with Quinn Violins, Concord Musical Supplies, Bob's House of Bassists, and told him that his shipping fee was exagerated.
    Never heard of him after that...
    Better think twice before ordering there, his prices are somewhat high...

9. JAS

JAS

Jul 3, 2001
    California
    I've actually spoke with Mr. Woolsey 3 times over the phone over the last week. He is a really nice older man. I think he is running the buisness all by himself. He developed and made these strings all by himself. He is an engeneer and a bass maker and really a genuinely nice guy. I trust the guy. He has been very generous with his time on the phone talking to me about strings and how he was basically frustrated with strings being too tense and too thin, or too low tension for gut and having to have high action, that he spent 5 years and made his own strings that he says solved all his problems. The strings are $190. Not too bad for strings not mass produced.

I encourage everyone here that is interested to check out the website and give him a call. He will be very glad to hear from you.