Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Low to mid buget 35ers

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by andruca, Aug 23, 2004.

1. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Hi everybody!

I'm looking for a low to mid-price 5 string 35" bass. Up to now I'm deciding from these three:

Yamaha TRB 1005 (750 EUR)
    Ibanez BTB 405 QM (550 EUR)
    Spector Legend 5 (550 USD)

ALl three of them are bolt-on and have 3-band active EQ and hambuckers (the Spector comes with single space EMG HZs). I haven't found any store that has the Spector here in Spain nor in online shops in Europe (that's why the only price is in US dollars) so it is not likely that I get to play it. I only play the Ibanez and will try the Yamaha this week. The thing with the BTB is that it felt a little uncomfortable to play but maybe with a decent .040 set (i don't nor won't ever use thicker gauges) maybe it plays ok. I have all my hope put in the Yammie because of the superior quality I noticed even in their lowest budget instruments. What advice can you give me on any of these or of other similar priced 5 string 35" active basses?

Thanks so much...

ANDRUCA

2. Mint_Coffee

Mint_Coffee

Mar 29, 2004
    Portugal
    I'm trying to decide between those too... :smug: Check out my thread for some input from other users:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=139662

I haven't played the spector either (I can't seem to find one here in Portugal), but it seems to be an almost consensual favourite around here.

I too am more partial on the Yamaha... Tough a bit downgraded, it IS a TRB - ergo it kicks a**! :D

3. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    The Lakland Skylines are also budget 35's.

4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Dean Edge basses are also 35" and they're quite nice!

5. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    The Spector Legend series is by all accounts superb value for money with great feel & tone. :bassist:

Check out the Spector website (www.spectorbass.com) for your local distributor and give them a call. You never know, they might be getting some in near to you! :)