Low tuning, high volume, stoner sludge death metal tone help and tips please

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Electric Wisdom, Jan 27, 2018.

1. Electric Wisdom

Electric Wisdom

Jan 27, 2018
    Montreal
    Hi everyone, ok i'm new here but i've been playing bass warwick for 8-10 years.
    Basicly i'm joining a band where it need to be loud like every metal band haha... but i'd like to be clear and punchy, i have a great setup at home and feel like all sub 1500$ cabs are poopie.
    I want that 5 string bass tuned in AEADG to sound good and feel like the speaker dont rush at all even if i'm relatively loud. I saw this video too and i got in love but 2 amps is kinda pricey...

So at this point i have no amp and no cab, i used to play all the time in my nice home studio with jbl monitors. I have a sunn T50C combo and i'm fan for this type of music: stoner sludge, death metal, black metal, anyways...

Edit: I don't want to use my sunn amp for bass because it's in my studio and it's heavy and precious, jam space for bass rig is another thing.

My main questions here are about what should i do... I mean i chould buy a cab but it's 2000$ or more + the amp... I'm relatively good with wood and i see that speakers and accesories are not that expensive... I'm open to learn about how to do it. I'd like your thoughts on what setup i could use. I really like the tone of that OB1. Also ampeg but i like more the OB1 tone...
    And also what kind on cab setup i should get with it? Maybe i could make one 2x15 8 ohm cab and one 2x12 + 2x10 in one 8 ohm cab into that OB1? That would make it 4 ohm in parallel thus having the full power of that 500w ob1 head right?

I'll have to check what wattage each speaker, i see some at 300w rms each 10, 12 and 15 inch, i think he uses eminence delta series.

Seriously any input is appreciated, i want ideas for a loud rig that doesnt get hurt when tuned low bass guitar.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
    Stumbo and Crowd crusher like this.
  2. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    the explode man and BadExample like this.
  3. Electric Wisdom

Electric Wisdom

Jan 27, 2018
    Montreal
    Hey thanks man!
    Forgot to mention i'm in Montreal Canada.
    There's a nice store near here, getting speakers and accessories is not the problem hehehhehe

4. Electric Wisdom

Electric Wisdom

Jan 27, 2018
    Montreal
  5. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    Stumbo likes this.
  6. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    Prices are current and the owner is a respected member here... no problem.

Stumbo likes this.
  7. Electric Wisdom

Electric Wisdom

Jan 27, 2018
    Montreal
    Stumbo and BadExample like this.
  8. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    Yah, soooo many nice ones! Mesa Subway, Sansamp (GED 2112 should be very nice with two channels)... and if you get the wrong one first try, it's a lot less money to change just the pre.

Stumbo likes this.
  9. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Look up Bill Fitzmaurice; he sells speaker box plans direct. There's a lot variety of price points, complexity and sizes. There's a lot of info on his website and he has a forum.

Greenboy's fEarful plans are still available no charge on his website. Also a lot of good build info on TB.
    fEARful 15 Build: Neobassman | TalkBass.com
    Fearful 12/6 and 15/6 | TalkBass.com

As far as which rig to choose, what's your max budget?

How much free time do have to allicate to building?

Di you have a shop and shop tools?

Other sources of information available as well on TB:
    AMPS FAQ!! Info on OHMS, Allsize RIGS-OverUnderPowerCabs DIY TechTalk-Links

pudgychef and BadExample like this.
  10. Electric Wisdom

Electric Wisdom

Jan 27, 2018
    Montreal
    Yeah totaly, i will look this way, it's interesting, do you use some similar setup? Many do this?

Stumbo likes this.
  11. Electric Wisdom

Electric Wisdom

Jan 27, 2018
    Montreal
    Ok i'll look at it, yes i have tools, maybe 1 or 2 small thing needed but mostly yes.
    I can take the time to do it, no need to be pretty just very functional, thight, nice low end, clear and loud.

Stumbo likes this.
  12. Electric Wisdom

Electric Wisdom

Jan 27, 2018
    Montreal
    I would be happy to get something under 2K total amp and speakers

13. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    I have a two channel bass amp that has a power amp almost identical to the crown... biamps and separate levels. Costed more, does less. I have used it with a preamp pedal as well as the integrated preamp, both with pleasing results. There was a recent thread on a smaller version of the crown in use and loved. See if I can find it...

14. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Which is it?

15. HPF3.

ThisBass likes this.
  16. Electric Wisdom

Electric Wisdom

Jan 27, 2018
    Montreal
    Sorry i meant i have no bass amp, my sunn amp is a guitar amp.

lz4005 likes this.
  17. Electric Wisdom

Electric Wisdom

Jan 27, 2018
    Montreal
    What is it? i dont find on google..

18. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    DIY Bass Cabs

This one stuck in my mind because the fella is biamping. There are many others.

With the crown, HPF is built in and very adjustable.

Stumbo likes this.
  19. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    High Pass filter.

20. Electric Wisdom

Electric Wisdom

Jan 27, 2018
    Montreal
    ah ok i know HPF but the 3 confused me.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021