1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Low tuning on a short scale bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Poglia, May 13, 2011.

1. Poglia

Poglia

May 11, 2011
    Hey guys,

I was wondering: would a short scale bass handle a low tuning like D standard or drop C? If yes, what kind of strings should I use?

Thanks.

2. Hi.

IME the scale length has almost nothing to do with the ability to tune to a specific tuning, the string diameter does.

True, the longer the scale, the easier it is to get the right "feel", and perhaps more importantly, 34" or 35" scale strings are much easier to get than shorter (or longer) ones.

For a possible travel bass ideas, I've experimented with ~25" (IIRC) standard E tuning with my 6er strung for F#BEADG. The short "scale" was not as much as a problem as the wide neck was.

Regards
    Sam

3. ghiadub

ghiadub Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2006
    Auburn, CA
    I have a drop tuner on my mouse that takes my E to C. I use the stock La Bella tapes.

4. garmenteros

garmenteros Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    Not exactly a short scale, but my alembic spoiler (which I sold) was 32 scale and was G D A E B No issues whatsoever with tension or floppy strings. I was quite surprised actually, didn't expect it to sound so tight and defined. I used roundwound 45 130 sadowsky strings by the way.

5. Poglia

Poglia

May 11, 2011
    Ok thanks guys.