Low tunning causes a VERY wavy(wobbly) sound, why?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by martyr of obscu, Feb 11, 2006.

1. martyr of obscu

martyr of obscu

Aug 31, 2005
    I have a 120watt 12" combo behringer amp and my bass has .040 strings (quite thin). Is this wobbly sound because my amp isnt correctly balanced with the BASS, TREBLE, LOW-MIDS or LOW-HIGH knobs? Or is it the skinny strings it has?
    HELP ME....I usually tune last string to C and so-on.

P.S. I play with pick aaaaand when I begin fast picking the amp just blows out every note loud and messy thus messing up the whole whole bass track. :S
  2. JansenW

Nov 14, 2005
    Cambridge, MA
    I would say that your problem is low-tension strings. You could test this by tuning higher (using higher tensions) to see if the problem goes away.

Thin strings require less tension than normal strings for standard tuning. Tuning down would lower the string tension even more. Low tension produces floppy strings which could overload your amp.

Try thicker strings.
  3. martyr of obscu

martyr of obscu

Aug 31, 2005
    Yeah when I tune standard or half step down the problem goes away. How thick should I buy new strings: .045 or .050??
  4. martyr of obscu

martyr of obscu

Aug 31, 2005
    I play death metal and thrash sooo what good strings would work?
  5. I use DR low riders 50-115 but I prob wouldnt reccomend jumping that much

maybe go...110 on your E??
  6. Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    Also, how low do you tune? Are you playing a 4 string? My band plays with low B, Low A, and Low D. I use 2 5'ers and a 6'er. My 5'er that's tuned to A has a longer scale, which helps with the string tension.

Basically what it sounds like to me is that you're playing with spaghetti.
  7. JansenW

Nov 14, 2005
    Cambridge, MA
    To be honest, I don't know but I would try the 050 size.
  8. martyr of obscu

martyr of obscu

Aug 31, 2005
    Im tunnind 2 steps down. Its a 4.string.
  9. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    2 steps down is a lot for a normal guage string.
  10. You could also use the bottom four strings of a 5 string set and tune UP 1/2 step.... CFBbEb...or stay at BEAD and change you positions up one fret...then you can hit a low B if needed.

Otherwise, try at least .100 on the low E