Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Low voltage from wall--use SS or tube amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MtnGoat, Aug 20, 2001.

1. MtnGoat

MtnGoat

May 7, 2000
    MA/NH
    It happens more frequently than I would like, but I guess it's inevitable. At the gig over the weekend the voltage from the wall was 95 volts instead of the standard 120v. I have a choice of using an SWR tube pre/SS power head or an all-tube aguilar head. How does low voltage affect these amps and which one would be better to use under these conditions?
    Digs

2. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    I'm NOT an expert, but I do have both tube and solid state amps. I beleive that in general, a tube amp is more demanding of the wall current, and might be adversely affected a little before a SS amp by low voltage. I could be wrong, however, and hope that more knowlegeable members might clarify my response. I am looking into the same problem, and am considering getting a power regulator thats a bit more beefy than my PL-Tuner. Perhaps the Furman Balanced Power Supply. Looks heavy duty.

3. MtnGoat

MtnGoat

May 7, 2000
    MA/NH
    Coyote boy,
    I used to run my SWR SM400s through the Furman AR117 voltage regulator (constant 117v), but I repeatedly blew the thing up (literally sparks flying out of the thing when a few transistors exploded). After several repairs, Furman finally advised me to use it for an application that demanded less current even through it was rated for 15A. I have since moved the AR117 to the studio and have had no problems, but I am now a little leery of such a device for my amplifiers.
    Digs

4. steinbergerxp2

steinbergerxp2 Guest

Jul 11, 2001
    Definitely.

And if your input voltage is too low, no power conditioner is going to help that. They are designed to support short periods of voltage drop, not compensate for a continuous low voltage condition.