Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Low Volume

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bcarll, Mar 20, 2002.

1. bcarll

bcarll

Oct 16, 2001
    All of a sudden I am having to turn the pickup volume up more than before to get any kind of volume out of my bass. ie: lets say before it only took a quarter turn to get a certain loudness - -now it takes a three quarter turn to achieve the same loudness. How do I know if it's my bass or amp. Setup is a CRATE BFX50 amp and GSR200 Ibanez bass. Every thing is still under warranty and only 6 months old so no trouble getting it fixed but would like to know a little before going back to the shop.

bcarll

2. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Right off the bat: Try a different cable if you have one.

Has the bass or amp suffered any recent trauma (did you drop it, bang it, jump on it, etc.)? You can pull the rear cover off of it and see if everything is still connected. Perhaps a soldered connection has come loose? Are the jacks loose or tight?

3. bcarll

bcarll

Oct 16, 2001
    Tried different cables as you have suggested and no change. No bumps or bruises to either bass or amp. I am very careful with my equipment and it never leaves my practice room and I am the only one that uses it. Think I'll borrow a bass from a friend to see if it's my amp or bass. Kinda tough to troubleshoot which is the problem.

Thanks for your suggestions and please keep em coming. I just hate the thought of taking bass and amp back to the shop and worse than that being without them.

bcarll

4. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    usually Dead Batteries cause volume fluctuation and distortion... but since your bass is Ibanez GSR200... Anything could be...

5. Im not familiar with the Ibanez models, but if the bass is active (has treble, mid and bass knobs) then it is *very* likely that it is the battery *or lack of a working one* that is causing the problem.