1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Low watt amp club?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rocks, Sep 26, 2010.

1. Rocks

Rocks

Mar 9, 2009
    Willoughby, Ohio
    Is there anyone else that gigs with amps under 200 watts? Myself I gig with a 130 watt Trace Elliot head and have played places with 400-500 people with no problem with no FOH support. I'm just curious how many others gig with under 200 watts.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    i often gig with 25 watts. most of the time i have a good amount of headroom, too.

3. Rocks

Rocks

Mar 9, 2009
    Willoughby, Ohio
    what kind of 25 amp are you giging with?

4. PostApocalypso

PostApocalypso

May 21, 2010
    The Canada
    I assume JimmyM is refering to the B-15 Portaflex.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    you assume correctly :D 1964 b-15n to be exact, most of the time with two 115 cabs.

6. GianGian

GianGian

May 16, 2008
    So where is the miracle? I am curious now.

7. Jimmy Stump

Jimmy Stump

Jan 27, 2010
    Canada
    Do you play in a band with mimes? :eyebrow:

8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    lol! no, just a band that has a good handle on volume and realizes that a good onstage mix where nobody is too loud is a lot better than volume wars.

9. GianGian

GianGian

May 16, 2008
    So it is used as a monitor. And it must be an all valve amp. It is getting better.

10. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    actually, it's not just a monitor since i mic one of the cabs and don't use a di.

11. GianGian

GianGian

May 16, 2008
    Same effect. I mean, the power is just used for the stage. You use support for the "front of the house" mix.

12. 25 watts into 2 15's can get surprisingly loud. It's all about efficiency.

13. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    ya, most of the time, although i've done a handful of gigs without the instruments going in the pa and was quite worried when it happened the first couple times. shouldn't have worried, though. turns out what works well for the stage mix works out EXTREMELY well for the foh mix. i've done fairly large gigs in as big as an 800 seat theater with it using only stage volume and it rocked, and while we certainly weren't what most define as loud, we weren't quiet, either.

14. I just snorted some soda out of my nose while reading thi.s :D

15. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Inactive

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    I use a Sovtek MIG100 and/or an Orange OR120.

Do I qualify?

16. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I've gigged with my Bassman 120 combo more than once. It's a single 15 with roughly 120W. It fits small venues really well!

17. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

180 watts here. Mesa D-180.

18. + 100 billion. I wish more bands would live by that rule.

19. steve_rolfeca

steve_rolfeca Supporting Member

It's not rocket science to get by with less than 200 watts. Bands like Ten Years After and Cream used to give people nosebleeds in clubs with less than that, back in the day. I played most of my career with amps under 200 watts, and I only started going DI to the FOH in the late 90's.

I used high-efficiency E-V 15's until the mid-90's, which helped a lot. I was louder with 130 watts into those cabs, than I am now with anything less than 500 watts into modern 2 by 10 and 4 by 10's.

I find the three biggest secrets are using efficient speakers, adding cone area with owned or rented cabs to match the demands of the gig, and using sensible EQ. When sharing the same rig at festivals, I have often blown other bass players off the stage, simply by avoiding smiley-face EQ settings. Wasn't it Gene Simmons who said that the key to arena rock for a bass player, is 400Hz?

Even when I've had more than 200 watts, I've probably done a good 75 percent of my gigs with a single 8 ohm cab, which has pulled my actual output power below the 200 mark. Although I've had dozens of amps including a Carver-powered rack with 1200 watts and a Bose L1 with 750, these have been some of my gigging mainstays over the years:

Early 70's- played weddings with a Harmony 15 watt tube combo with a single Jensen 15, then an ailing Fender tweed bassman (yecch), then a Roland solid-state head with 120 watts.

Mid 70's- Gibson Les Paul bass amp, wildly over-rated at 200 watts and muddy as hell, then a modified Traynor Bassmaster (80 tube watts).

Early 80's- modified Traynor Monobloc 250 (bench tested at 135 watts into 8 ohms).

Mid 90's- Traynor Bloc 250, Marshall Silver anniversary (solid-state, probably about 175 into 8 ohms), SWR Studio 220 (benched at 130 watts into 8 ohms).

Recent- Fender Rad Bass (30 watts) for acoustic gigs, SWR WM10 (80 watts at 8 ohms, 100 with an extension cab), Eden ENX260 (about 140 watts into 8 ohms?).

20. Big chicken

Big chicken

May 25, 2010
    In Space
    sunn concert bass+4x10=loud

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021