Low Wattage Guitar Tube Amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by el murdoque, Sep 17, 2017.

1. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    Has anyone had the chance to play bass through one of the lunchbox-style low wattage guitar heads and would care to share the experience?

I myself play through a Hughes&Kettner Tubemeister 18 head on a barefaced one10 at home. I initially bought this head for guitar but soon found out that the sound for bass is more than acceptable, it is a great tubey vibe in a small and light package.

The only thing that bothers me is that I only use this amp in the 5 or 1 Watt setting, and I only use the clean channel, both with guitar and bass - my pedalboard delivers a better overdrive/distortion than the amp itself.

I was tempted to downsize my amp - Hughes & Kettner make a 5W version with only one channel and many other brands have cheap heads with less than 10W, too.

The thing that held me back so far is that H&K advertise that the Tubemeister 18 comes with XXL transformers, giving the small head a lot of clean headroom - and this might, at least after my understanding, be responsible for the great tone with a bass, especially 5 or 6 string.

Mooer, for example have this little monster amp that is modeled after the Fender Bassmaster.
    Google and suchlike could not tell me whether the small copy of a big amp can deliver with a bass connected just as well as the original does, only a lot less loud.

lstelie likes this.
  2. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 16, 2021