1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Low wattage tube amp for crunchy bass at lower volumes

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by louderthangod, Aug 22, 2012.

1. louderthangod

louderthangod

Aug 22, 2012
    Alameda, Ca
    I'm new here and I did some searching but didn't come up with anything that really fit. I've wanted a fairly low wattage (maybe 30 or under) all tube amp that really sounds great cranked for a really crunchy power tube sound. I'm much more into old school amps so super wide range fidelity isn't that big of a deal. A combo would be even better since I'd probably want a smaller cab. Oh yeah, something besides the Portaflex.

2. Duke21

Duke21

Nov 14, 2010
    Narvik, Norway
    If you have the money, nothing will beat an Ampeg B15...
    But otherwise the Ashdown Little Bastard is 30W all tube and sound great.
    The Ashdown is quite cheap!

3. Energy

Energy

Jun 20, 2006
    Germany
    There's plenty of all tube guitar heads that will meet your need.

4. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    i use a mesa d180 and the way the channel volume and master interact you can get insane od at pretty reasonable volumes, so maybe check one out, you don't have to be loud to get the crunch with this 180 watt or 200 watt tube head

5. recreate.me

recreate.me

Apr 2, 2010
    Ontario
    Currently there are a lot of threads on this topic, as it is something a lot of people really want.

Here are a couple threads that might be of interest that have been started not to long ago:

Low wattage guitar tube head into a bass head

and Low wattage tube head

There are a bunch more if you search 'Low wattage Tube Head" or something close.

Cheers

6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    :eek: :confused:

7. edisonsexybeast

edisonsexybeast

Aug 14, 2012
    Ashdown little Bastard.
    Or Markbass little rocker is nice too..

8. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    I want to be Tesla (tinkerer at Dayton Amp Co)
    +1 I think I like the Portaflex more than anything else.

My other top picks are my newly acquired Hughes and Kettner BATT or an Epi Valve Jr. I'm sure the little bastard would be a great choice too.

9. Duke21

Duke21

Nov 14, 2010
    Narvik, Norway
    The only minus of the portaglex is the price. And there are not many of them around.

10. The Li'l Bastard is a great lower price alternative, here in Aus it's low priced anyway.
    I've seen em sell 2nd hand for $750 & under.
    It does sound great too. Just a bit too much od for me & my volume needs, tho it definitely went loud enough, just not loud enough clean.
    I like CLEAN-ish all tube, 90% of the time.

11. ChuckTrucks

ChuckTrucks

Jul 28, 2012
    The Ashdown Lil Bastard! Thing sounds freaking cool. It also says Lil Bastard on it in bright red cursive writing.

12. nouroog

nouroog

Jan 14, 2010
    Paris, France
    If I may ask, WHY not a Portaflex? As it fits your description so perfectly.
    Tonewise, being clean or dirty, you'll have a hard time finding something sounding better.
    YMMV, but I'm curious to know why you discard the PF from the start.
    And they are not so rare, they show up quite often. The only difficulty is you have to grab them before one of the PF club member ;)

13. experimental bassist

experimental bassist

Mar 15, 2009
    +1

I've ran my son's Epi Valve Jr. (5 watt) tube amp into one of my 4 ohm bass cabs just to see what it would do.

Not loud enough to gig with of course, but it sounded great at living room levels (I was actually surprised how loud it was).