Low Wattage Tube Pre Amps/Heads Available?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by recreate.me, Aug 21, 2017.

1. recreate.me

recreate.me

Apr 2, 2010
    Ontario
    Hey TB!

I haven't been on here very much in the last year or so, but have been moving around a lot and going in an out of gear and I was looking for a recommendation.

A few years back i got my hands on a Hughes and Kettner BATT preamp, it was a 5W tube preamp that would provide just the best tube overdrive I had ever heard. Sadly I had to sell it and move and now I am just wondering if there is anything out there these days that is similar without breaking the bank?

Currently I have a Mesa Walkabout, into a TC Electronics 1x12 (I have a 2x12 but think i will need to let that go soon lol ) I am looking for a tube pre amp, or a low wattage tube head that I can crank for some nice OD and tube warmth at low volumes.

Any Suggestions? I would say my budget would be sub 250$ Used is great to save on money.. I think i paid around that for the BATT. I have been out of the game a while so I don't really know whats changed.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
  2. matante

matante

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I know there are some bass specific tube amps that are around 15w, (Ashdown comes to mind,) but I don't know what kind of prices they go for.

3. Maybe try and find a secondhand Ampeg PF-20T. 20 watts all tube bass head.

They go for $599 new so maybe you could find a deal on a used on.

RoadRanger likes this.
  4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 16, 2021