1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Low-Wattage Tubesters Official Club

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by R&B, Feb 21, 2013.

1. bonin in the boneyard

bonin in the boneyard Supporting Member

R&B, Hubriser and Tbone76 like this.
  2. keyofnight

keyofnight

Jun 3, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    I'm almost officially one of you. I just bought this Sunn 200s. 60-ish watts, simple controls, giant transformers! It should be here in a week.

mat2otw7llzklbsiiqlc.

P-oddz, lowplaces, RedVee and 4 others like this.
  3. Hubriser

Hubriser Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2013
    Boston MA
    I saw that, ironically I’ve been working with Jim at Frenzel on a custom 40 watt Bassman with a jcm 800 preamp. If it’s half as good as his remarkable service it’s gonna be awesome! I literally asked that poor man about 300 questions over the course of 3 months, all while waffling on every decision I would make. I was like a kid in a candy store, he can do everything you ask for at a freakishly reasonable price. I was getting frustrated with myself because I couldn’t make up my mind but he was super cool, no pressure at all but just the right amount of guidance.
    Now I’m waiting on an 18 lb 40 watt Bassman/jcm 800 with different sets of controls and inputs, I can even use them together with a signal splitter, 2 kt88s, fixed bias, a switch to allow for el34s, aux in, headphone out, no load required for silent recording, a 1/4’ off the output transformer, Fx loop plus a switch to toggle between solid state and tube rectifier, point to point...what?!
    I can’t wait! I’ll be sure to post a review once I get it

4. bonin in the boneyard

I hope you do! That sounds awesome.

Now I'm rethinking whether I have anything I can unload to make room for it...

Hubriser likes this.
  5. Hubriser

Hubriser Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2013
    Boston MA
    Well at the very least I wouldn’t buy anything new, Frenzel sounds most definitely worth exploring! Haha I’m so pumped for what is basically a dream amp for me, I will be able to record bass and guitar all tube direct, late night! Can’t wait!

R&B likes this.
  6. Radarsonwheels

Radarsonwheels

Oct 18, 2016
    1704AFBD-EE1D-41C0-9801-464C6FEEF93C. I use my musicman 65 flipped to the 1/2 power 30 watt setting all the time. It sounds amazing- rich and bright despite the somewhat dark MM cab, and has spectacular grind if you turn up the master. The pre is solid state so I usually leave that clean.

Do I get a #?

jwindham, keyofnight, R&B and 2 others like this.
  7. cangaroo

cangaroo

Aug 13, 2009
    Hi ... what would you choose between

ampeg portaflex pf-20
    ashdown little bastard
    ashdown ctm15/30

I need a low wattage head just for home/recording.

For all the other stuff im already done with my 70s V4B, but unfortunately i cant crank it at home.

8. bonin in the boneyard

My $0.02 having owned all three:

If you like the V4B, then go with the Ampeg, which has a similar baked-in tone. It's the most flexible of the three, especially when it comes to recording, and it's also a beautiful piece of engineering and aesthetics.

The Ashdown CTM-15 is a ton of fun, the least expensive, and--IMHO--the best sounding of the three. But it's limited in features: a rather inflexible EQ and no DI out. (It's the only one of the three I still own--hooked up to a Barefaced One10--so sweet.)

The Ashdown CTM-30 / LB-30 / Little Bastard (all the same thing) has a DI and a more flexible EQ than the CTM-15, but I found that the EQ had a bit of a learning curve. And although 30W might not sound like a lot on paper, I doubt you would ever want to crank it at home--it's loud!

Hope that helps.

cangaroo likes this.
  9. R&B

R&B Both kinds of music: Rhythm AND Blues! Supporting Member

Yessir, welcome at #90!! First new member for quite some time. Full list on page 60 unless I missed an interval update. Did I miss anyone else?

R&B :bassist:

10. disssa

disssa

May 6, 2009
    jwindham, R&B, keyofnight and 2 others like this.
  11. Anachronism

Anachronism Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2014
    MO
  12. bonin in the boneyard

Oh wow. They have my attention. I miss my Little Bastard....

13. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Do you happen to know if it has real EQ or still that crappy Fender tone stack that the older CTM-30 had?

14. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    the namm video says passive tone stack, so that's the fender stack. nothing wrong with that though...

15. RoadRanger

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    I have an older CTM-30 and a '67 Bassman so know how to work that stack. But they'll never sell well when you can get an Ampeg PF-50 with "real" eq now...

16. beate_r

beate_r

Jan 25, 2012
    Germany
    4 EL84 in such a tiny enclosure? It'll become really hot... with a height of just 8 cm there seams a bit of lack of space for an appropriate output transformer ... no chance for the usual M102 or EI96 cores ?

RoadRanger likes this.
  17. RoadRanger

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Maybe a fan and toroids?

bonin in the boneyard likes this.
  18. wayshot

wayshot

Sep 25, 2006
    Namsos, Norway
  19. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
  20. ScottTunes

ScottTunes Gear-A-Holic Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2011
    So Cal
    I'd like a number, please!

IMG_4358.JPG

Traynor fan here. I also have the 45w Bassmaster. I occasionally use a '64 Fender Deluxe Rev Amp into a bass cab as well.

R&B likes this.