1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Low-Wattage Tubesters Official Club

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by R&B, Feb 21, 2013.

1. R&B

R&B Both kinds of music: Rhythm AND Blues! Supporting Member

Very cool project! Welcome, #91!

And #92!

wayshot likes this.
  2. wayshot

wayshot

Sep 25, 2006
    Namsos, Norway
    Tried the Knutsen-Amp at rehearsal with the blues band two days ago, through a Behringer 4x10 cab. Unlike my Valve Jr, this amp delivered just enough clean volume right before clipping the power tubes. Nice, compressed and slightly gritty sound with my P-bass. This band isn't very loud, though.

monsterthompson and R&B like this.
  3. bonin in the boneyard

bonin in the boneyard Supporting Member

R&B likes this.
  4. rickdog

rickdog Gold Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2010
    I'll put in a good word for the CTM-30. I really need to take a picture of mine in its natural habitat (coffeehouse, wine bar, brew pub gig) so I can be officially a low-wattage tubester. Turned up to an appropriate volume for such venues, it's just pushing the edge of sweet tubey saturation.

RoadRanger and R&B like this.
  5. SamanthaCay

SamanthaCay Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2008
    Denver, CO.
    My two current low watters,
    Bogen not a bogen chb100. I got this one from craigslist free listings in a pretty rough state. Re-capped, re worked bias circuit with bias per tube, completely reworked preamp, new EH 7868 outputs, lots of gain and lots of fun.
    IMG_3709.JPG IMG_3720.JPG I need better pics of the cab but here's an old one from before I modded the head. It's an old Silvertone hifi woofer, re-baffled (fitted for a 4ohm 15) and foamed.
    IMG_2368.JPG And my latest low watt amp is a custom built 5f1 circuit with gain/volume and a 22k on the input rather than the 68k
    IMG_3778.JPG IMG_3790.JPG

6. bonin in the boneyard

bonin in the boneyard Supporting Member

Loves me some gut shots.

R&B and SamanthaCay like this.
  7. SamanthaCay

Nov 16, 2008
    Denver, CO.
    There's also this stupid thing, it's a Gregory Mk V. It is one of the widow maker amps from back in the day, ie no fuse or power trans = very unsafe.
    I looked around a little and there are ways to make this thing relatively safer but nothing I liked the look of more than just gutting it and starting over. I re-capped it and gave it a test and yeah sound very meh so as it sits it is gutted.
    I was thinking something more powerful and a bigger speaker but I'm not set on anything in particular yet.
    IMG_3307.JPG IMG_3318.JPG

R&B and bonin in the boneyard like this.
  8. JebDude

JebDude

Sep 22, 2010
    Minnesnowta

Nice amps. And a pretty bass, too.

JB

R&B and SamanthaCay like this.
  9. What is the maximum wattage to be in this club?

Will take pictures later, but I have the following setup

Demeter all tube preamp into a Peavey 50/50 power amp bridge mono 100watts
    THD Univalve with a single KT88, Class A pushing 18 watts (as measured with a scope )
    Frenzel tube "Tweed Deluxe" with 6SL7 preamp tube 25 watts into 2 5881 (smaller output transformer). To get bassier, I use an ART preamp plugged into the power amp in, which also doubles as fx send (not a typo -t has a gain knob which switches the function from FX send to power amp in)

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  10. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I still have my 1967 blackface Bassman amp. Its 50W of tube power played a lot of gigs back in the 70's, including the band for the Jr. Miss Pageant in a 700-seat auditorium.

It won't see another gig, because I have a Fender Bassman 100 V3 that weighs less than this head by itself. But it's handy for practice because I can use the Bass input for my instrument and input a CD player into the "Normal" input. I have individual volume control over each.

IMAG0707.

11. I have two, a 50 watt '67 silverface bassman with original large 212 cab and an Ampeg Bassamp 835 that puts out 35 watts with one 15", has an old Utah coaxial in it and sounds really good, the original Jensen is long gone, no pictures though they are quite far away right now, I should be back to the USA next month though.

12. Woodstockz

Woodstockz

Sep 23, 2011
    San Diego, Ca
    I am kind of obcessed with the 835s. I would love to see pics when you get a chance.

bobyoung53 likes this.
  13. Sure I'll be back in about 3 weeks, I've had it for about ten years and just had it gone over by a good tech.

14. R&B

R&B Both kinds of music: Rhythm AND Blues! Supporting Member

Sounds like you qualify. Very arbitrary limit of 50 watts. Number for you?

R&B :bassist:

15. Fuzzonaut

Fuzzonaut

Aug 27, 2013
    Switzerland
    I have a Hughes & Kettner Bass Master (1x12AX7, 1xEL84, 5 lovely watts) that I use at home, running it through an old Italian 2x12 (Caldironi-Meazzi).

16. image. image.
    Nice to see some new goodies here, I haven't checked in for awhile. I'm not sure if I put this pic up before or not. This is sweet sounding amp with bass or guitar.
    Here's a late 60s Guild Thunderbass about 50 watts.

17. And yea, hey, @R&B I'll take a number, I'm pretty sure I've posted several amps here.
    My tube amps:
    Guild Thunderbass
    Sunn 200S
    Polaris, (DynaCo MkIII sunn clone)
    Stromberg Carlson Signet 22
    63' Fender brownface Pro
    53' Fender Tweed Deluxe 5B3
    2 60's Audio Guilds
    Gretsch Dual Twin Reverb
    And whatever I forgot. Lol

18. SamanthaCay

Nov 16, 2008
    Denver, CO.
    Kirk Bryant those thunder bass amps look pretty rad, there was one on my local cl a couple weeks ago with the matching cab for $300:jawdrop: I had to let it go though as funds are tight atm.

Part of the reason being as I committed to buying this,
    IMG_3810.JPG IMG_3808.JPG IMG_3812.JPG This was a friend's amp in for repair, said it was sounding awful. The right output label being burned is the first clue then on further inspection I found one half of the ot open. and with that news it was offered to me for sale. Plan now is to replace the ot, outputs, caps and do a general clean up of the messy wiring in this thing. Should be nice when I'm done with it and will make a good spare time project in the next month or so. :)

19. FronTowardEnemy

FronTowardEnemy It is better to go unnoticed, than to suck Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2006
    Plainfield Illinois
    That is awesome!!!

20. lowplaces

lowplaces Got Punch ? Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2015
    Louisville Kentucky
    I've been waiting 13 months:laugh:

R&B likes this.