1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Low-Wattage Tubesters Official Club

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by R&B, Feb 21, 2013.

1. I wouldn't gig with it, but I practice with an Ampeg GVT-15 sometimes. I keep it around for guitar, but it works well for bass. You can run the gain wide open and it doesn't really break up.
    1017181706_HDR.
    A GVT-50H may be in my future, as I like them and they're full tube heads that don't fetch too high a price (yet).

lowplaces, Quilbert, RedVee and 3 others like this.

2. Although slightly off-topic , I have the big brother CTM100, again it taking me a while to get to grips with the passive eq. It like you dial up one pot and it does something to the rest of the frequencies . They don’t behave independently. Great amp though

3. Just back from the guitar store . It’s a guitar head Carlsbro 50 top , British made. Sounds great with bass ...really dirty, but I can get great clean sounds as well . 50w. Really thrilled with it. 46D96482-811F-497A-B7C3-EF67C9097357.

Attached Files:

R&B, Roxbororob, gscroggin and 4 others like this.
  4. james benecke

james benecke

Jan 5, 2019
    how about a Ibanez TSA 30 with a bass cab only $450 pre 3x12ax7 power 2x6l6?

5. beate_r

beate_r

Jan 25, 2012
    Germany
    A new small amp is born - 12Watts from 2 6L6GC driven by a set of transformers for a pair of EL84. Very clean and punchy, sounds like a big one. A bit hiwattish but darker.

DSC_3969.

6. Just enjoying the sound I’m getting out of my Carslbro 50 top guitar tube head with the barefaced 2x10 so much. I think 50w is a great wattage for a tube head for bass . The tubes are pushed hard and really sing . It’s loud enough to contemplate using for a small gig. I just can’t get over the warmth of the tone.

R&B and bonin in the boneyard like this.
  7. bonin in the boneyard

bonin in the boneyard Supporting Member

I'll bet!

Although not low-wattage, my YBA-200 sounds pretty amazing through my Barefaced Two10.

dbbltime and R&B like this.
  8. I’ve an Ashdown CTM-100 also that sounds sweet through it . Played an outdoor gig with it once unsupported!

9. hennessybass

hennessybass Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2008
    Houston, TX
    #15 checking in...
    xdyHX6nmj-cF4xMJZSgXd_RV1vdGPkubazCjrZcKdvoSC3LefJmdThRR1xziMEEkyV4qli73E_PHuYM7olc=w883-h662-no.

10. Had a low level band rehearsal with my newly acquired and serviced 50w head. It’s a guitar amp so I wasn’t really able to get deep lows but it was bassy enough, nice throaty midrange , perfect for that punky p bass tone I like . My band mates were really impressed with the dirty channel , best overdriven bass sound I’ve ever heard. I don’t think this amp had been running for extended periods for long because it smelt like an antique store after rehearsal. best part of playing old tube amps ...the smell !!

Attached Files:

11. Peter Lufrano

Peter Lufrano Blues. and nothing but the Blues. Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Berkeley, CA
    I use a 65Amps Apollo. Can I join?

12. R&B

R&B Both kinds of music: Rhythm AND Blues! Supporting Member

If it’s all tube, 50 watts or less, and you post a pic, a number is yours!

R&B :bassist:

13. Peter Lufrano

Peter Lufrano Blues. and nothing but the Blues. Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Berkeley, CA
    Ok, here goes!

Attached Files:

bonin in the boneyard likes this.
  14. Put away my low watt valve head (tube to you guys) to be all ‘sensible’ and practice at home with a perfectly decent small markbass class d combo. Great amp and all but Within 5 minutes I was pulling out my oversized impractical underpowered tube amp ...just no comparison...these amps are just so much more fun to play .

15. R&B

R&B Both kinds of music: Rhythm AND Blues! Supporting Member

Hence, our club! :thumbsup:

R&B :bassist:

bonin in the boneyard likes this.
  16. Solid state = head ; Tubes = Heart ❤️

R&B and bonin in the boneyard like this.
  17. james benecke

james benecke

Jan 5, 2019
    just ordered bugera t50 and peavey 112 will post pics when it gets here.

18. I had to look at what a bugera 50t was . Very interested to see how this works with bass. I had a Bugera ‘SVT’ type 300w bass amp for a short while . I don’t know why people poo poo these amps that was an earthquake machine with awesome tone . I think it cost me the equivalent to $500 usd , built Ike a tank . I only sold it on because I literally couldn’t manage the sheet weight of it .

R&B and james benecke like this.
  19. beate_r

beate_r

Jan 25, 2012
    Germany
    Maybe i'd also show it with its new old headshell:

DSC_3973.

BassGreaser, gscroggin, R&B and 4 others like this.
  20. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I’m currently saving for another low watt tuber.. my list is short and sweet

Ashdown LB 30
    Ampeg pf50t
    Ashdown little stubby (whenever it comes out)

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019