Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

low-weight/foot print rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Obsius29A, Sep 1, 2003.

1. Obsius29A

Obsius29A

Dec 20, 1999
    Huntington, NY
    Hey all- I just moved to NYC and I'm looking for a hi-fidelity, relatively high power rig that I can take around easily so I can audition for bands, etc. Any recommendation? Money is not really a problem- it just needs to be easy to get around and needs to sound great with generous headroom. (my current rig is an epifani 3x10 w/ an ashdown head- very nice but I can't really take it with me)

2. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    hmm interesting. The Epi 3x10 was designed with portability in mind. I remember the original advertising blurb mentioning it fits into the trunk of a taxi cab, unlike most 4x10's.

Have you looked at the Epiphani Ultralight series?

3. Obsius29A

Obsius29A

Dec 20, 1999
    Huntington, NY
    I mean technically it does, but I'm going for gigs in connecticut, new jersey, etc. as well as manhattan and I live on the 6th floor of a walk up. It would just get fatiguing very fast. Hell, my bass feels like a lead weight buy the time I get into my place.

4. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    What about the Ashdown Mini series of cabs???? I recently got an ABM500 EVO head, a Mini 48 cabinet and a Mini 15 cabinet. The Mini 15 cab weighs 19kgs (about 40 lbs)!

5. cwbassist

cwbassist

Aug 23, 2003
    illiniois
    If you want portability use a couple of aguilsr gs112 cabs (only 42 lbs each!) plus whatever head you want to power them, they handle at least 300 watts at 8 ohms, I don't know what head you are using right now but your ashdown should be good for these cabs

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hey OB,

but we should ask, what kind of gigs are you gonna use it with? what sort of stage "competition" are you facing?

also, try taking a trip down to Nick's shop in Brooklyn, and give the Ultralites a try. they might be a bit pricey, but they're worth every trip back and forth from the cab to my apt. i just picked up a 3x10 ultralite, and its now my main cab for ALL situations. check out my last post on it:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=98406

btw, i do a few cramped gigs for an acoustic singer/songwriter as well as a trip hop group. with both, we've been in some tiny tiny lounges, and i've used a Clarus / a pair of Ultralite Epi 1x10's to great effect. try this for a small footprint:

[​IMG]

7. Obsius29A

Obsius29A

Dec 20, 1999
    Huntington, NY
    Joker,

I'll come to your next show and I guess I'll get to hear some aspect of your rig there too! BTW- I'm also BattleAngel29A on the PRS forum. I've been thinking about that clarus head btw- it works well?

I'll be fighting against rock drums and guitar, but nothing insane because most of these bands sway way more to the lighter side of things.

8. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    My vote goes for Epifani Ultralight 1x10s :)

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    well, this next show, i'll be using my Kern / Epi 3x10UL rig. would be great to see more TB'ers as well as PRS forumites at the gig!

but for my usual praise/worship gigs for church and other churches i work with, the clarus + 2x (1x10's) works great! against a relatively hardhitting drummer, i've had no problem slammin' thru.

on some gigs, the low end can be a bit lacking, cause it is only a pair of 1x10's after all, but with a little tweaking, and by putting both on the floor coupled with the stage, i get more than enough low end.

10. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    I'll be there tonight (i'm 98% sure)...I was hoping to hear an Acme B-4 though :D ;)

11. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Obsius:

I just ordered an Acme B-1 to use with my WT-400...if I like it I may buy another, and get a more powerful head (IAMP 800 perhaps), and have that be my small to medium-sized rig.

Alternately, you could check out the Bergantino 112, which is an awesome (and small/light) cab. I opted for the Acme, but I might change my mind and get the Bergie, depending on my comparisons.

-Aram

12. Hmmm, I thought you were in love with the Acme B1 sound? Not loud enough with the Clarus?

13. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    yes, Joe, i am in love with the Acme sound. but i've always been an Epifani guy. ;)

the Acme's are great for my new trip hop gig, where my bandleader loves to hear the lower than low lows.

but for my usual rock 'em sock 'em gigs like my funk rock band, the Epi's are my numero uno choice.

14. I have an Ashdown Mini 10 that I think I'm going to sell.