1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Low Weight Hybrid Bass Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by main_sale, Oct 26, 2006.

1. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    There is most definately a trend towards improved portability of bass rigs while still retaining superior tone, and I'm all for it. There are some new light weight and powerful amps on the market that are getting good buzz, but I would think there is an opportunity there for someone to make a quality and toneful light weight bass amp with a tube preamp for warmth and a powerful Class D poweramp section with an overall low weight. What do you guys think? I'd definately buy one.

2. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I agree it would probably have a market. The closest I've come to finding something that's a hybrid with exceptional sound is the Mesa Walkabout Scout head. The output section is not Class D however. But the tube preamp is unique to Mesa and not just one 12AX7 stuck in there and called a tube preamp. This one actually gets a great sound and is flexible. You can get anywhere fron clean to heavy distortion. In between is a nice area of tube compression. And at 13 lbs. in a tiny package that puts out 300 honest watts, it's as close as I need. But maybe someday someone will mate that good a tube preamp to a Class D poweramp and get the weight down further.

3. I sure would be interested.
    I'd like to treat myself with an Epi 502 for Christmas. Now that I got an Epi UL410 my rack weighs more than my speakers. :D
    The knock on the lightweight amps in past years was the crappy sound and volume. Looks like they've managed to reduce both of those to tolerable levels.
    It's good to be a bass player in this day and age.