Low weight, powerful, good sounding cabinets

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ndjx, May 24, 2002.

1. ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    Hey I'm a pretty small guy and I'm saving my money to buy a amp head/cab setup so I was wondering if any of you could recommend some cabs that were light weight, powerful and good sounding. I was thinking about two Aguilar GS112's but how well would they do in a hardcore/punk setting? I'd probably use a Carvin DCM1000 and I'm not sure what type of preamp I'd use yet. But if anyone has some recommendations I would really appreciate it.
  2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I use a pair of SWR Goliath Junior 2x10s for almost all gigs. They're light: only 55 pounds each, and IMO have the best tone/power/weight ratio of any 2x10 cab.
  3. Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    you could go with a GS112 and a 2x10".. that would make for a nice combo.
  4. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    that'd be fine, but what are your guitarists using? you should plan accordingly against what they're using.

if its two guitarists with a full marshall stack each, i doubt a pair of 1x12's will do the trick for you.

tell us your band, and then we can help.
  5. Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    You should check out the brand-new Ampeg PortaBass cabs - I haven't heard or seen them yet but read a great review in a german guitar and bass magazine.
    The 112 is only 23lbs!
    Those cabs are said to be a little power hungry though (due to sealed box design) - they powered the 112 (200W@4Ohms) with a 400W head, but achieved astounding volume levels this way...

6. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I can't comment on how they'd be for your choice of music, but Bag Ends tend to be very small and very loud.
  7. ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    Well we only have 1 guitarist at the moment for practices he has a 1x12 70 watt Crate I think but for gigs he's gonna use a Marshall I think it's called a MG100 head with a 4x12 (a half stack in other words).
  8. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Wow! Ampeg does a 180!

I'd like to see what the efficiency specs on these are.
  9. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    a pair of 1x12's should compete with a 4x12 halfstack. tho, a 2x10 / 1x15 stack could do you better.