low z

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DiegoMcgee, Feb 9, 2002.

1. DiegoMcgee

Oct 20, 2001
    Providence RI
    I've been gigging for the past couple of weeks with a new rig and have been using the line out lowz that is built into the amp rather than a direct box.
    Now, I have always used older equipment that
    didn't feature a line out. Anyways, a sound man
    told me he preferred not to use the direct out
    because if it dirty it can cause all kinds of
    problems. I am still using my line out and it
    sounds great. How can I keep it clean and has
    anyone had any problems running direct line out
    from the amp.
    Also, I've had my ground on and my ground lift off
    when using the low z line out. Is this correct?
    (If I ever win the lottery I am going to hire me a tech.)
    jim Obrien
  2. If your direct out isn't causing any noise to go to the board then your ground lift is in the right position.The time to change it is when it does make racket.
    If it sounds as good as you say I would try to keep running it out of your direct out.If you have problems later get a good active direct box.I used to carry a Countryman direct box around with me for insurance in case my direct out messed up.They are very clean so the sound that goes in is what gets to the board.They cost about $165 to $180 so it's not a small investment but they can be invaluable if your rig starts putting out 60 cycle hum or radio freqs. in the middle of a set.Sound companys don't always have good direct boxes so it's a good idea to have your own.I use a Sans Amp Bass DI now cause I like the preamp built in.It costs about the same as the Countryman.You've already used direct boxes so you probably know what I mean.I think every bass player should have one in his gear bag.Don't get a cheap one though,they can color your sound to much.
  3. DiegoMcgee

Oct 20, 2001
    Providence RI
    I've actually heard good things about sans amp,
    but why would you need a pre amp for a direct box?
    Or is it a pre amp that features a direct box?
    Anyways, your rite I probably should invest in a good direct box.
    jim obrien
  4. mgood

Sep 29, 2001
    Levelland, Texas
    I haven't had the oportunity to try the line out on a bass amp made in the last ten years or so. I hear that they have gotten much better, but they used to be pretty noisy.

I made my living as a soundman in the early nineties, and I always used a Countryman direct box on the bass. Frequently, the bass player would see me coming over with it and say, "oh, you don't need that. I have a line out on my amp." I'd say, "ok, I'll leave this here just in case." And set it on top of his rig. At sound check, I would solo the bass and listen to all that nasty humm and buzz. So I walk back out on the stage, unhook the dude and run him through the DI. I tried most of the top name brands of bass amps at the time, and I never found one that wasn't noisy. I was working mostly with national-touring acts that could afford to have the best in equipment, so it wasn't just due to low quality gear.

I never really understood why they couldn't build a quality, quiet DI into a bass head. I've always thought that eventually I'll have one if I have to plant a Countryman DI inside my bass head. Or at least copy their design and build something similar inside the amp.
  5. I believe that Tech 21 amps have a SansAmp Bass Driver built in. Can anyone clarify that?