Lowball Effort Failed!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Kevorargh, Jun 8, 2021.

1. Kevorargh

Kevorargh Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2013
    West Bethel, Maine
    Quick, somewhat amusing story, for me anyway.

I posted my Ric 4003s/5 on Reverb because it wasn't what I needed. I put a somewhat high price as it was in pretty mint condition - about $1800. After a week, no bites, and that was not terribly surprising.

I dropped the price to $1600, and I got one message from an interested party who asked if all the parts were working, because, in his words :"that's an awfully low price". He didn't buy it.

Later, I got a lowball offer for $1350, which I turned down, and received a lengthy explanation for the lowball offer. Nice guy, who also did not buy my bass.

Next came a person from a music store who offered $1100. I replied he was $500 too short, and he proceeded to explain to me that he could get this type of Ric for far cheaper so why should be pay my price, etc. Hardly an argument to sway me, but apparently he thought so.

Not much later someone bought it for my asking price, and I just shipped it. So, things work out sometimes, and lowballers lose sometimes. Which suits me fine today.

Thanks for listening!

kevorargh

Mr Cheese, mikecd1, BradH and 75 others like this.
  2. Haha, nice job. I love possible buyers like the music store guy, because answering them is the easiest: 'Then go and buy it from the other guy.'

3. Bassclef46

Bassclef46

Feb 1, 2021
    For ever low ball buyer there are 50 high ball sellers.

4. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I wonder what it's like to spend over a grand on a bass? if I find a nice EB-3L I might find out.

5. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    I think $1600 is too low.......Even at $1800 it was a good deal. Patience is key when selling. But I can see where people get in a big hurry to move something. That's why Lowballers are able to be the way they are.

6. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Low ballers are typically flippers. If they lowball 50 people and get one "Yes", they can make a nice little profit on that one "yes".

7. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    /\
    |
    |

This. Same reason why spam exists. As long as one sucker bites, it was worth the "effort".

8. devnulljp

devnulljp Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2009
    BC, Canada
    Admin on the D*A*M Forum
    I usually just ignore lowballers. But couple of years ago when I was trying to buy a house I must have given some pretty good deals. Pretty much first offers on everything got accepted. I needed $$ now!!!!

Kevan Campbell and DJ Bebop like this.
  9. RichSnyder

Jun 19, 2003
    877-CASH-NOW

10. I have an issue with the term low baller. Any item is only worth what another person is willing to spend on it. For some people, that number is lower than others. You may want $1800 for it. Unless you find someone willing to give you that much for it, it's not worth that much. Not making a judgement on your instrument at all or you. I am sure its a lovely instrument and you're a great guy, and I am glad you were able to move it, but me personally, I wouldn't spend half that on a Ric. It's not an instrument that ever interested me. If you offered me a Ric for $500, I am not sure I would buy it. I am not a flipper, so I don't look at it as a business. So if I offered you a realistic price I was willing to spend on it, a price I would be comfortable paying to give the instrument a chance, that makes me a bad guy?

LP Custom, eb3mike, Hallic and 9 others like this.
  11. RichSnyder

Jun 19, 2003
    If your offer is considerably below market value, you would be a low baller. Maybe we could use “unrealistically optimistic”?

12. WillyWonka

WillyWonka I "heart" pointy headstocks Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2019
    I think if I had seen it for $1600 I would have jumped on it, always a day late!

It's the only 5er on my list of things to do...

got a link to the reverb ad?

squarepeg and Jeff Elkins like this.
  13. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Bootlegger guitars : S.I.T. Strings Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Florida USA
    29DD1196-F4D5-43C7-8F05-BF237700DE40.jpeg

14. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Not to me. It’s just business so emotions really have no place.
    I make low offers all the time. It’s what I am willing to pay. Take it or leave it. I am all set for Ric 5 strings or I would definitely go $1800 for one.

15. ficelles

ficelles

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    I sometimes make low offers if the price is imho optimistic... there's a particular Warwick for sale which is priced high for its rarity, the seller turned down my low offer but sooner or later I imagine someone will bite near his price. I don't bother with explanations though, I just offer what it's worth to me. Doesn't make me a flipper.

16. gln1955

gln1955

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    It sounds like you and the low offer folks were all cordial. If no one is telling another to f-off, it's just business where two sides don't meet.

17. John Webb

John Webb

Apr 20, 2006
    My response to low ballers is always...."No thanks, I'll just keep it."

18. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

although i'm almost always willing to negotiate a sale: if i have a minimum = i stand firm...who wouldn't? i also think it's best not to be personally offended by lowballs and comments (i actually find them funny: whether or not they're funny).

glad you got some money for your ax! :thumbsup:

4SG and Dynacord like this.
  19. RichardW

RichardW

Feb 25, 2016
    near Philly
    Free market capitalism...it's a beautiful thing.

20. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    If I make an offer a lot lower than asking price, I'll explain why just so the seller doesn't think I'm being a jerk. It doesn't cost a penny to be nice.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 16, 2021