Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lowdown Whammy

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by tbone209, Apr 28, 2002.

1. Hey BassHeads!

I'm looking for a "whammy bar" I can mount on one of my Jazz basses. Something like what Claypool uses, ya know?

I want to buy one, and a friend wants one, too. Got any ideas who sells 'em or how much they are?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

TimDaBassPlayer

2. I think the only bass whammys still available are from pork products or something like that. they are expensive... (i think around 300 bucks) and supposevely dont work well at all (out of tone with one use). You will probably also have to hack the crap out of your bass to put the new bridge in as well.

3. since this is more about modding a bass than actual electronic effects, i reckon this goes in Setup.

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I always thought an onboard Digital Whammy would fix the problem. Take the guts of a whammy pedal, install it in it's own cavity, then have an arm sticking out, with Z,X,Y axi to get the full whammy effect. Have it come out right next to the bridge, where a real whammy is. Then, you could wham till you're blue in the face, and not go out of tune. Course, the Kill/On button's placement is a bit of a mystery...

5. thats sounds pretty cool!

think i might have to try it :rolleyes:

l8rz

Tom

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, of course, you'd have to have bass custom built and digital whammy custom installed...that's assumed.

7. NioeZero

NioeZero

Sep 2, 2001
    Y'know... I really don't know why people badmouth the Kahler trems they way that they do. Yes, alright, it does take a bit of routing to put the thing in, but honestly, is it really going to make that much of a difference? Not IMHO.

I'm speaking from personal experience here, as I've had my whammy for two months, and I've not noticed a significant change in tone due to wood routing.

And as far as going out of tune, I've pushed my bar all the way down to the body, and it's come perfectly back in tune every single time. Maybe if you've the bar set so it's floating, out-of-tune issues could arise, but I don't have mine set that way. If I want to bend the pitch up, I use my fingers; down, the whammy.

Look on Ebay, tbone. You can find some good deals if you're patient.

Good luck.