1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD LowEnd/Benevente OM5 #001 (2009 NAMM Bass) ... gorgeous bass!

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by funkyjudge, May 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. funkyjudge

funkyjudge Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2010
    Langhorne, PA, USA
    I am VERY RELUCTANTLY selling my beautiful OM 5-string that was a joint venture between Chris Benevente, who did the building, wood shaping, etc. and Brian Barrett at LowEnd Basses, who did the electronics and finishing work and took this bass to the 2009 NAMM Show with Serial No. 1 on it!

Here is the listing from which I purchased this bass a couple of months ago (any edits by me are done in bold italics) ....

LowEnd OM5 #1

This one is a collector's item for all you LowEnd fans. This is the first LowEnd OM made for the NAMM show and this is definitely the most beautiful OM I've ever seen. This bass is featured on the LowEnd website!

This bass has:

Flamed Maple Top
    Gorgeous Crotch Walnut Back
    Mahogany Core
    Mac Ebony Fingerboard
    LowEnd's B style neck
    Hipshot Ultralights and A style bridge
    Recessed Strap locks
    OM Logo on headstock (always bothered me when I saw the OM's without one, this one is icing on the cake)
    Brass nut
    LE 2 band custom pre w/ active/passive and series/para switches
    VERY light (around 8 lbs, which is way light for a singlecut) -- actual weight, taken on my highly-accurate digital scale, is 8 lbs., 6 oz.

Price is $2650 shipped in a Mono gigbag. No low ballers please! -- I paid a little less, but not by much; this bass had a base price of $3,575 + case when new, and there are lots of extra-cost options on it, and upgrades that have been done to it, as you can see.

Now onto the pics! (these have since been taken-down, but I will post some new ones in this thread ... I am also providing links to pic's of this bass from various places on the LowEnd website)

[DEL]I am asking $2,325 shipped[/DEL] Price reduced to $2,175 with a TKL gig bag, or [DEL]$2,400[/DEL] $2,275 shipped with the fantastic MONO M-80 gig bag that came with this bass! --
    I am also offering the option of a brand-new Kaces K3-B8 hybrid gig bag and the price for this bass with that $160 bag is $2,225 shipped and insured!
    !
    For a detailed Talkbass review of this hybrid bag, with lots of photos, see this thread ....

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f30/kaces-new-hybrid-k3-b8-gigbag-838269/

This bass is not only beautiful to look at; it is also a joy to play. I have smallish hands, and the bass has what at first appears to be a wide neck (in reality, it is only 1.875" at the brass nut). The reason that the neck seems so wide is that it is quite shallow, but the real key to why it plays so nicely is that the neck shape just seems to allow for super-fast playing. Here is what Brian at LowEnd has to say about the B-Type neck ....

B-Type© Neck

The B-Type© neck design is possibly the ultimate neck design. The neck is broken down into levels similar to a pyramid. The level closest to the fretboard is a 3-piece neck. Sandwiched on top of that is a 2-piece neck. When all this is glued together, you get a multilevel multi-piece neck that provides ultimate stability and rigidness

You can read more about the OM bass, and see some pic's of this bass here ....

http://www.lowenddistribution.com/lowendbasses/om-features.html

(and, YES, that picture peeking at you at the top of all of the OM pages on the LowEnd website is THIS bass). Here's some more professionally-taken photos in the LowEnd Bass Shop gallery ....

http://www.thelowend.net/gallery/viewtopic.php?t=4381

This is EXACTLY how the electronics and controls on this bass is currently arranged. I talked with Brian Barrett at length, and he told me about the transition from a four-knob, single toggle-switch arrangement to a five-knob two toggle-switch array, which is the current configuration -- The addition of a series-parallel control toggle, and a master tone control made the difference here. The controls are: neck pickup volume, bridge pickup volume, master tone, series/parallel toggle, active/passive toggle (defeats the two-band preamp), bass boost/cut and treble boost/cut.

A couple of very recent pictures taken by me (including an extreme closeup of the controls ....

2. funkyjudge

Aug 8, 2010
    Langhorne, PA, USA
    Here are a couple of photos .... more to come:

3. funkyjudge

Aug 8, 2010
    Langhorne, PA, USA
    control cavity photos (note how neat and clean, and well-shielded this cavity is; the battery is wrapped in the black sleeve here for total isolation, too) --

Attached Files:

4. funkyjudge

Aug 8, 2010
    Langhorne, PA, USA
    here is what this bass body looked like when it was delivered from Chris Benevente to LowEnd Basses:

Attached Files:

5. funkyjudge

Aug 8, 2010
    Langhorne, PA, USA
    Full front and back shots, courtesy of LowEnd .....

Attached Files:

6. 77stingray

77stingray Supporting Member

Oct 6, 2010
    Atlanta
    Nice bass doug! Great luck with the sale !

7. funkyjudge

Aug 8, 2010
    Langhorne, PA, USA
    Thanks, Allison. I'll need the funds from this bass if I want to acquire a certain other 5-string that is being built!

By the way -- Nice gear in your signature! Good selection of basses, and amplification. I used to have a Markbass rig, and they are very nice.

8. funkyjudge

Aug 8, 2010
    Langhorne, PA, USA
  9. austentaciousC

austentaciousC

Mar 17, 2010
    wow

10. 77stingray

77stingray Supporting Member

Oct 6, 2010
    Atlanta
    Great deal on a rare bass! Happy holiday :)

11. funkyjudge

Aug 8, 2010
    Langhorne, PA, USA
    Thanks, Allison .... and yes, it is a fantastic deal on an equally-fantastic bass! Considering that there have been two other LowEnd OM basses for sale here between $2,600 and $3,200 recently (and this one that I have has very similar features and spec's to the $3,200 one), I think that my pricing is actually ridiculously-low. If someone were to order a similar OM5 today (and both Chris and Brian were to agree to build it), they might have to wait 6 to 12 months and they would certainly have to pay double what I am asking for this one!!!

I have had a couple of interesting trade offers for this bass, and under other circumstances I may have taken either of those trades, but I do need the cash .... being 63 and on Social Security with limited "outside income" doesn't leave a lot of room for "bass (or equipment) ho'ing" (a/k/a "GAS")!

12. funkyjudge

Aug 8, 2010
    Langhorne, PA, USA
    I really dont want to sell this bass, but unfortunately, I NEED TO, so I'm offering the following three options (price reduced in the original post in this thread):

1. $2,175 with a TKL gig bag (nice bag, and brand-new)

2. $2,225 with the $160 Kaces K3-B8 hybrid gig bag described above (also a 100% brand-new bag)

3. $2,275 with the lightly-used 3 month old MONO M-80 gig bag (a $210 bag)

13. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    Wish I had the cash for this. The price is crazy low.

14. funkyjudge

Aug 8, 2010
    Langhorne, PA, USA
    Thanks, lowfreq33!

15. austentaciousC

austentaciousC

Mar 17, 2010
    Used to own the holly-topped version, these basses hit hard! Very lightweight too, this price is unbeatable! Although im sure you're not making friends with anybody else trying to sell one :)

16. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    Seriously, I have no idea why this is still here. They made what, 5 of these?

17. funkyjudge

Aug 8, 2010
    Langhorne, PA, USA
    Actually, they made (6) of these OM basses, to the best of my knowledge. Thee were a couple of similar models from LowEnd and Chris Benevente also made a similar model (but with bolt-on necks in both cases). This LowEnd B-Type set neck is just so stable.

As for not making friends with others who are trying to sell their basses .... If I had bundles of money, I would buy that Macassar Ebony OM5 with the John East preamp in it, and I would also keep THIS one!

18. funkyjudge

Aug 8, 2010
    Langhorne, PA, USA
    I thought this bass was sold over the last 24 hours, but it is still available (at least for now). I have reduced the price lower than I wanted to so it's as low as it is going to go!

As I told my potential buyer -- As nice as this bass is (and it is a SUPER bass), sometimes I wish that I had never laid my eyes (and hands) on it. That way, I would never know how great an instrument it is, and I wouldn't miss it, as I am sure that I will!!!

Happy weekend to one and all!

19. funkyjudge

Aug 8, 2010
    Langhorne, PA, USA
    Here's an Independence Day bump ....

I truly hate to sell this bass, but finances absolutely dictate that I must do so ... and I must sell it THIS MONTH!

20. Virgil

Virgil She's My Inspiration Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2005
    Dresher, Pa.
    Great bass and a Great Person. Good luck on the sale.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.