Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

LowEnd double leather gig bag! (kind of a review, with pics)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Wilbyman, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Well, I just realized there isn't an accessories forum for stuff like this...

I've been eyeing the double leather bag at thelowend.net for a while. I've got some Incase Slim bags which I love, but manhandling two of them at a time is a biznitch. I had (have) an Undercover bag which is starting to fall apart a little, and I was never a fan of the single-divider style double bag. (See pics) I much prefer the double zipper design the LowEnd bag sports.

So, I took the plunge on the leather double. I've kind of been wanting a leather bag anyway. Of course, it also gives me a chance to take some pics...allowing me to play with my basses and camera at the same time.

Say hello to our testing team:

[​IMG]

The LowEnd bag is beefy. That's the word that kept popping in my head when I pulled it out of the box. The leather is a very soft, supple nubuck, which I'm going to scotchgard to keep looking good. It is dark brown and doesn't have the orange tint of cheap nubuck...it really feels like the leather on my Birkenstock loafers. (No clogs for me!)

The whole thing has a very burly, thick feel to it. As you can see, it's all-around chubbier than the Undercover and Slim bags. That's a good thing when it holds about 5k worth of boutique lumber!

[​IMG]

Open her up and you can see where the chub comes from. There's alot of padding in this thing. Of special note are the "box" sides which surround the bass when the zipper is closed, and I really like the big fat "lip" on the bottom, which protects the butt end of the instrument. The lip design allows you to fully unzip the bag, where as the Undercover wont zip along the bottom. I like the lip design, it just makes for less fighting around with the bag.

[​IMG]

You can see the lip a little better in this pic:

[​IMG]

Here's one with my R-Bass riding shotgun. Mr. R always rides shotgun. Notice the ballistic nylon around the bridge (it's also on both sides of the headstock):

[​IMG]

Here is a close up of the "box sides":

[​IMG]

Straps: Also thick. The LowEnd has padded black leather straps (to match the black leather trim, a nice touch) which are adjustable and quite comfortable. I think this pic shows the thickness of the straps and how bomber the construction looks on this bag.

[​IMG]

Handle: This is where Brian gets mad points with me: He took a cue from the Incase handle, and made a thick leather "grip" style handle. It looks and feels great. Mad, mad props here. Here is the Slim and LDB handle to handle:

[​IMG]

Storage: Brian told me he's offering two pouch styles: a big saddle bag style, and a smaller zip-up. I went with the zip up, because I usually bring a backpack holding my (AI) amp and laptop to the gig. The zip pouch isn't very big, but it will hold your cables, a tuner and your marijua...I mean, strings.

[​IMG]

There's also a strap pouch, similar to the Undercover.

[​IMG]

Zipper: Even the zipper on this thing is big and burly. The LDB has a huge beefy zipper (two pulls) on the bass pouches. The outer pockets have smaller zippers. I think you can see the contrast in this headstock shot:

[​IMG]

For those of you who have never seen an Undercover, here in my Alembic (thanks Mom and Dad, it was my HS graduation prez and we shall never part). It feels pretty derned anemic after manhandling the LDB.

[​IMG]

One more pic, all closed up:

[​IMG]

I could go on and on about the bag being very well constructed and very well designed (which it is, on both counts) but I think the pics speak for themselves. It really feels like something I'm still going to be carrying around in 10 or 15 years. Highly recommended for anyone who likes to ride in style.

2. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    Great review. Thanks! Nice lumber BTW.

3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Excellent review and pictures. Thanks!

4. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    excellent review...
    found the price, $225.00
    nice case!

5. Skeezix

Skeezix

Sep 28, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    What he said! :bassist:

6. For a double bag of that quality, that seems like a good deal. Is it really as good quality as it looks in the pics? Looks very nice, might have to pick a single one up. How much would one of those run?

7. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    singles are $175.
    obviously, i'm very interested, although i prefer bags that don't unzip on the bottom should a worst-case scenario happen with the zipper(not likely, but not impossible either)
    d

8. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I see what you're saying, but I think the only way it would happen is catastrophic pilot error. One thing I hate about the Undercover is that the lining it coming out of the bottom...also, the bottom is just getting kind of nappy...and it's impossible to get in there because it's inaccessible. And after having the Incases, I like the full zip. The LDB is nice all the way around.

9. Thanks for the review, I'm looking for a good gig bag...

10. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    WOW, Thanks for the review. I feel very good about the end result of the double and single bags. It took quite a bit of time to refine them.

I also agree with the zipper, and you will notice the Single does not zip all the way around!

On the other hand the Double, because of being a double and bags are made inside out, the double bag with dual zippers can not be made this way and must have the zippers run all the way around.

Thanks again for the support!
    Brian

11. Very nice... and an amazing bag for the price. If they were going to modify anything, I would suggest making the accessory pocket larger, and adding a second small accessory compartment at the top of the bag.

12. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    Thanks Will!!
    I've been eyeing their bags but was a little unsure of them.
    I'm looking for a nice single bag and sisce they don't make the Incase Slim anymore I need to look elsewhere!!.

13. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001

There is an optional Buckle Pocket available, which is larger. I did the design with both pockets so customer's could choose which works best for their needs.

Thanks
    Brian

14. SMASH

SMASH Guest

Jan 18, 2000
    Canada.
    Wow that's nice. Good work Brian, on getting the finer points right.

One question as I didn't see this addressed - how's the stitiching, with the weight of two basses are the straps likely to detach?

Is the buckle pouch a lot larger and does it also come in the brown?

Thanks.

15. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

16. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    The buckle pocket is a bit bigger. The idea is to hand pedals and other devices. Yes you can get it on Brown, Black, and the Nubuck colors.

I would say no, they won't detach, but then it also depends on how you handle the bag. I am sure you could force them off.

Thanks
    Brian

17. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    SMASHer-

I loaded up both basses in the LDB last night and walked around the house to see how they would ride. The bag is beefy (as I keep saying), and when you get two instruments in there you've got some weight on your back.

However, I think the stitching looks and feels super solid. I never thought for a second that the straps would pull away from the bag. I definitely never heard any stitches pop.

Will

18. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    I agree the Incases are amazing. I helped a little with them early on resizing the bags and the guys at Incase are quite amazing and they think way out of the box when designing.

That said, the LowEnd Leather bags are different animals to the Incase. The LE bag is a Leather thick padded gigbag and the Incase is still really a soft HSC. Granted it crosses the line to a bag in a lot of ways, but it is still also a Hard case in others.

Both are wonderful cases!

19. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    Brian,

Wasn't there a custom InCase bag for a double neck Benavente? I seem to remember seeing that in a NAMM photo somewhere sometime....

Also, the Low End leather gig bag: is this the same that comes with new Benavente instruments?

thanks

20. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001

Yes, the Benavente's come with the same single bag with the Benavente Logo on them as the LowEnd bags. Someone could order a double with the Benavente logo's as well.

Incase did treat me well after helping them out with size designs, they did the custom double neck case as well as Built a Custom Incase Benavente bag some might have seen which had 3 removable pads to create a custom fit for the Benavente Basses. AND they also introduced me and Tad from Blues Traveler......... ;)

Winter 2004 NAMM
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Custom Bag they Built for me
    [​IMG]