1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

LowEnd Jazz Bass 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Wehmas, Oct 22, 2006.

1. Wehmas

Wehmas

Oct 17, 2006
    Kotka, Finland
    Sorry if there's already a thread like this, I couldn't find one with the search engine.

So, I got a trade offer for the MTD 535.
    The guy offered a LowEnd jazz bass 5 (Aren't these manufactured by Benavente?), a jazz bass hybrid (68┬┤body, 69┬┤neck) or a fretless 6-string Carvin Anniversary.

So, the 6-string Carvin is out of the question (Don't need a fretless), so the choices would be the LowEnd, the vintage JB and then there's the Alembic which I spoke of earlier this week.

Sure, the LowEnd looked sweet, but we don't see too many of them hanging here in Finland. Any opinions, experience, any info on these?

Thanks!

2. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    LowEnds are GREAT!

3. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    They are great, but I don't think that I'd make that trade. That's just me, of course.

4. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    I would trade an MTD for a LowEnd Jazz, but that's just me.

5. Hm... that does not sound like a very good deal, IMO... the MTD will hold it's value a lot better I'd imagine.

6. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I went To Buy an MTD 535 from Brian Barret at the LowEnd about 2 months ago and I ended up going with a LowEnd jazz 5 string. I have never enjoyed jazz basses until I picked up a LowEnd Jazz. I love them so much i have a LowEnd 6-string jazz being painted and finished for me right now...

Its all opinions here on whether or not you should trade.. I think I probably would, but they are two totally different basses. But if you are looking for one of the best sounding and playing Jazz basses around, I would grab that trade... and Brian at the LowEnd is a great guy to deal with IMHO

7. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

I would really like to check out a Low End soon !

8. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    The LEJ's are top notch instruments...they are made well and play and sound great. I am a much bigger fan of the LEJ's than the MTD's but that is just my preference.

The used market for LEJ's has not yet fully come into play as the line is relatively young. I can tell you this, Brian and Chris are as comitted to building top quality instruments as Mike Tobias is...

If it were me, I would value option for option, meaning if your MTD has a nice wood top, etc., and the LEJ does not, you may want the other individual to add a bit of cash to the deal.

Good luck!

9. Wehmas

Wehmas

Oct 17, 2006
    Kotka, Finland
    Thank you all for your opinions!

I'm not sure what to do :)
    The MTD has to go, that I know, but I'm not sure whether to take the Alembic Essence or the Low End Jazz. It's really a shame that I haven't found too many reviews about the LEJ. The two I've found w/ google are really foam-mouthed ragings, you know, your typical "10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10 BEST BASS EVER"-stuff.

Edit:

MAN! I don't know what to do!
    The LEJ's starting to look prettier and prettier... Dang! I hate this part of gear-buying!

How's the slap-sound with the LEJ ?

Edit 2:

I think the bass is this one:
    http://www.thelowend.net/gallery/viewtopic.php?t=1546

10. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    Sorry, one more thought...I would definitely take the LEJ over the Alembic. In my experience, Alembics have a particular sound, not that it's a bad thing but you can get more tonal variety with the LEJ's. Again, just my opinion...

11. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    [ I have a friend here in Tamp fl who just purchase one and it has a huge sound and real nice playability,however I felt the the mids were kinda scoop so it really does has a Modern tone to it,however I think if you could have the pickups wired to were you have a single coil tone then it would really be a real nice bass to have