Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lower Action = More Growl

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Modern Growl, Jun 9, 2005.

1. Has anyone found this to be the case?

2. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    Hey Sir, you seem to be very obsessed with growl.

Did you do a search on "Growl"? You would find lots of answers and topics about the term called "growl".

To me, growl is most easily acieved with using a brigde J or MM pickup soloed, and playing with roundwound strings (rotosounds) with a moderately hard attack close to the brigde. Turning down the tone control (if you have one) seems to amplify certain "growly" frequencies and cutting treble. The amplifier i've gotten most growl from, was a *sligtly* overdriven All tube SVT trough a 1x15" cab. The larger cone area in the 15" speakers makes the speaker's membrane break up, and therefore adding and reducing certain overtones, and to my ears it makes more "growl".

Also, i think growl is most easily achieved with a medium-high action, since a very low action migth make the strings clack\buzz against the strings, which is good if you want a "grindy tone" though.

-Erlend

EDIT: I forgot to write that "growl" is in the ears of the beholder. What i think sounds "growly", migth not be what other people consider it to be. And also, take my advice with a grain of salt if you will, i'm only 15, norwegian and i don't have the experience of some other people on this forum. Peace.

3. Secondhandloser

Secondhandloser

Mar 28, 2005
    Agree with above, except I prefer a higher action with a harder attack, I find this tneds to give more growl to the sound...

4. has anyone else found this to be true?

5. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Mr Modern Growl, my growling bass loving friend - I think what you need to do is define "growl"

There are two diferent elements of my basses sound that I might describe as "growly" -

I think yetsreday in another thread we discussed the type of growl that occurs when the string contacts the fret just a bit - not quite fret buzzing but almost, it's what I'll get when I'm digging in hard and fret a note just a bit poorly - enough to alter the tone just slightly but not bad enough to sound bad or get a noticable "fret buzz", just a bit of grind to the attack and it actually sounds cool.

Then there is a sound I hear in my J's tone - just an elemet of the basses natural "voice". I hear it when I just play, has nothing to do with the string contacting anything - it could also maybe be described as a 'woody' sound.

Maybe that's why you're getting some people saying low action for more growl and others saying higher action for more growl.

Remember, words like: growly, warm, round, bright etc in regards to bass tone, to some extent, *do* mean different things to different people.

If you are really after a specific growly sound, maybe start with another approach - for example start a thread in "bassists" asking "How does Krist Noveselic get that tone like he has on the intro to the song Blew on the album Bleach?"
    (or whatever song and bassists sound you are interested in)

Also, don't forget some bassists get some of the cool sounds you hear on their albums through tube amps, effects, etc.

Good luck on your quest for more growl.

:bassist:

6. Time Divider

Time Divider Guest

Apr 7, 2005
    Action is always a trade-off between buzz and note. How much of each is up to the player and/or the person who set up the axe.