1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Lower Horn Repair?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by andvari7, Mar 30, 2006.

1. andvari7

andvari7

Aug 28, 2004
    Ennui
    Yesterday, I had the pleaure of purchasing a really nice sixer for a C-note ($100 USD). With the exception of a broken tuner (it's a used bass), everything is pretty cake about this bass. Except for one thing: the lower horn.

What about it? There is none. It appears to either have been broken off and the break squared up, or it sawed off deliberately (blasphemy, I know). As a result, this isn't the easiest sit-down bass (but it's still a great stand-up bass) to play.

How do you propose I remedy this? I was thinking of something along the lines of a cap to put on the end, similar to an artificial leg (as un-PC as that sounds, it's the best analogy I could come up with) in principle.

2. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    Pics...

3. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    Yeah we could use some pics to get a better idea of what were dealing with. You might be able to take a block of wood and glue it to the break, then go ahead and shape it how you want, and repaint to match the rest.

4. andvari7

andvari7

Aug 28, 2004
    Ennui
  5. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    I dunno if this is really what your looking for but I just had an interesting idea. Instead of trying remake the horn by preparingt the surface, glueing a block on, reshaping, and refinishing, you coud hire your local machine shot to fabricate a "faux" lower horn for you. I'm thinking a about a 3/16" piece thick piece of metal (I don't know what type would be best, I'm no metallurgist) cut into a strip that is as wide as the rest of the body is thick. You could then bent/shaped into the outline of the lower horn. Voila, a bolt on lower horn that could look really sweet if done right, and make your instrument very unique. You could really go high class and have the bolt on horn chromed, or annodized, or powder coated. I dunno how feasible that is or how much it would cost, but it has possiblilities.