1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Lower tension flats for 35" scale

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by SwitchGear, Aug 29, 2007.

1. SwitchGear

SwitchGear

Mar 23, 2005
    Wisconsin
    I am awaiting a Skyline DJ5 I recently bought. I love the sound and feel of Ernie Ball 45-100 flats on my 4 string Fender.

Can someone recommend a set of flats for a DJ5 that would be similar in tone and feel (tension) to the EB flats?

Thanks

2. Groovin

Groovin

May 25, 2006
    Wash, D.C.
    Get a set of Thomastik Infeld strings. Very low tension and the sound is incredible.

3. bassic1959

bassic1959

Jan 16, 2003
    I second the motion for TI Jazz Flats. Very low tension and they play great. They are expensive but they last a long time. I use them on my 55-01.

4. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Yes, the T.I. Jazz Flats. I have them on all my basses and won't play on anything else. My oldest set is past 6 years now and still sounds good. In fact, as good as they did after they had settled in after a week of playing. I paid $60 Canadian for them. That works out (so far) to less than $10 a year.

5. That's a great price. Mine were $70 US for the 5-string set. I've had the regular 345s on Laklands as well and the windings just clear the nut, but of course not thru the body.

6. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Oh yes, mine are 4 string sets. I don't know what the 5 string sets sell for locally.

7. +1 on the TI Jazz Flats

8. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland

+ 2 :)