Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

lower tension on my body-thru?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by tww001, Feb 20, 2004.

1. tww001

tww001

Aug 13, 2003
    Telford, PA
    I have a fretless jazz bass with thru-body stringing, and the string tension is really high. What flatwounds are out there that are really flexible? would a thinner gauge string lessen the tension? Does Rotosound make a flatwound? I have them on my fretted warwick, and they're super-flexible, I love 'em.

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Roto makes flats. I haven't tried any but I tried their Tapewounds (Abbey Roads) - very high tension. And don't like their sound on two basses I've put them on.

I use Thomastik Jazz Flats on all my basses and they are very low tension - many people that don't like them don't like them for that reason.

Lower gauge of the same string contruction would be lower tension.

Can't really make out what's on your Warwick but if you've found something you're satisfied with, stick with it whatever it is.

3. tww001

tww001

Aug 13, 2003
    Telford, PA
    thanks for your reply. I'll look into the tomastik jazz flats, i'll ask my teacher too

4. tww001

tww001

Aug 13, 2003
    Telford, PA
    It seems as if I should have conglomerated my multiple posts into one, oh well. (I have another post going on about roundwounds on a fretless)

Has anyone tried the Ernie Ball flats?