lower tension?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by pil101, Jan 4, 2002.

1. pil101

Jul 8, 2000
    what strings have a lower tension in the 45-100 gauge. as far as i know, DR's have a low tension anything else?

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    if you want a lower tension, try thinner strings (lighter gauge).
  3. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

Thomastick-Infeld strings seem to me to have to lowest tension of any (even their flats are lower than most rounds)...they are also of a unique and lighter gauge. But, I might add, they last, at least for me, a very long time...and I tend to eat strings (have been known to change sets 3-4 times a week on 4-5 different basses before I found TIs)
  4. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Another vote for T/I Jazz Flats :) or Jazz Roundwounds
    for that matter. I think core shape also has somethin' to
    do with tension (if not "feel"), i.e. round vs. hexagonal.

Others with a round core (all DR)...Hi-Beams (s/s r/w),
    Sunbeams (Ni r/w), and Longnecks (s/s r/w-taperwound).
  5. Thomguy

Oct 15, 2001
    New York, USA
    Thomastik-Infeld flats (JF344) will surely give you the lower tension you're looking for. Did you want to play pure nickel flats or are you looking for a lower tension roundwound? Rock, Jazz or both?
  6. pil101

Jul 8, 2000
    i am looking for a lower tension roundwound. mostly rock music. thanks
  7. Thomguy

Oct 15, 2001
    New York, USA
    In that case, scratch the flats. Sure the TI's are punchy for flatwound strings, but for rock, the Powerbass are the stuff (EB344). The set is close to what you prefer, 47 to 107 and generates a hotter signal for a higher output. Other than the DR's you mentioned, the Rotosound set is sure crisp and punchy, too. Although I found the tension not as balanced, they were not overly tight overall. I think any of those will serve you well. Good luck!
  8. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I have recently started using La Bella Super Steps extra light (040-060-075-095-118) and I love them. Great sound, great feel.