Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lower tension?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by E.O.M., Sep 7, 2002.

1. E.O.M.

E.O.M.

Dec 7, 2001
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Hello all.

The strings on the upright I own are pretty high-tension, at least I think. I have no idea what brand they are, as they came on the bass. They are pretty good, but sometimes they are a little scratchy when played arco, which is what I mostly play.

I recently went on a tour with the music department from my high school to Australia, and I didn't have the resources to take my bass overseas, so I borrowed a few over there.
    The first one I played was my favorite, and it was because the strings on it felt great. They felt lighter, easier to press down (not because of string height, which was the same as mine), and sounded a lot more like a cello, which is the sound I love.

Anyways, I'm looking for a set of relatively light strings. The sound I'm looking for is that darkish sound that cellists get. Any ideas?

2. Go play a cello.

3. ...LOL....:D Gee I love this site.....

Dave

If the world didn`t suck we would all fall off.......

4. E.O.M.

E.O.M.

Dec 7, 2001
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I was just wondering what brands of strings have a lower tension that sound great when played arco?

5. Seppie

Seppie

Aug 14, 2002
    Austria, Vienna
    on my gliga bass were license thomastiks on it....were nice sounding...but hard to play...awfull

and now i have pirastro jazzers on it....as played them the first time..i felt like i was in heaven...real great strings...but for your arco sound?...try the search function..maybe you find something...

gruesze sebastian

6. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Corelli 370's ?
    Available in three gauges; Medium, Forte, Extra-Forte. But even the Extra-Forte are thin and light gauge.
    The 370M were developped by Savarez with bass virtuoso François Rabbath.
    The 370TX are also often used for jazz pizz. (and arco)

HTH!

7. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    Entêté,

The problem we have to help you is that you don't know which strings you have, nor which strings you liked when you were downunder... It would have been wise to ask the owner/user of that bass.

For your info, there is a string ID search engine on the Quinnviolins site http://www.quinnviolins.com/index.html which enables to find brand and type of string according to the silk threads at both ends of the strings.

My vote for easy arco darkish sounding string is Pirastro's Obligato. By conparison, Corelli's would be brighter.

8. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    I vote for a set of Pirastro Flexicores. NOT the flexicore "Originals", which are heavy and expensive. Just the regulars. They sound dark and bow great.

9. E.O.M.

E.O.M.

Dec 7, 2001
    Grand Rapids, MI
    The bass I played was owned by the school, they said no one had played it in over a year. So basically they had less clue about it than I did.

10. Seppie

Seppie

Aug 14, 2002
    Austria, Vienna
    ...hmm...
    but maybe your teacher has a clue or an hint which strings would be best for your bass.

gruesze sebastian

11. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    School instruments are very often strung with cheap "Red Label" Super-Sensitive strings.
    Take note of the silk color at the ball and peg ends, and do a search at Quinnviolins.com with the string ID applet.