Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lower wattage Acoustic and AMP heads

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bino, May 18, 2004.

1. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    Anyone have experience with an Acoustic 220 or AMP BH-220 head (I think it's BH)? I've heard all positives about the Acoustic 360 and AMP BH-420, but not these lower watt models. I've seen them both for sale in the $150 range, but not nearby. What do you all think?

2. Rock&Roll

Rock&Roll

Jul 21, 2002
    USA
    I can't say I know a whole lot about the 220. Check www.acoustic360.com for more info on all sorts of acoustic gear. They have specs and pictures of a lot of the differnet amps and cabs made by acoustic. Also, they have a message board if you want to try it out too.

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The AMP BH-220 and BH-260 were almost identical to the BH-420.

How they differ (besides max power) is:

single volume knob vs. gain and master volume
    no limiter
    five bands of EQ rather than six
    crossover for biamping is fixed frequency rather than variable

For $150, if the power is enough I would buy it. I own both a 420 and 260 and I like the 260 better: fewer knobs to fuss with, a few pounds lighter and the power switch is on the front so it's easier to get to.

4. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    Brian, what's the wattage for the BH-220? The only review I've seen said 200 watts at 8ohms, but I thought that was the rating for the BH-420.

5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Not 100% sure about the 220' s wattage.

The 420 is 220/400, the 260 is 160/260. I think the 220 is 220 at 4 ohms, so probably 120-150 watts at 8.

6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I gigged a BH-260 into a pair of BagEnd cabs (S12 & S15) for most the 90's.

clear, full, punchy, moved an amazing amount of air... never lefting me wanting more (though loud & long outdoor gigs I could fry an egg on the case).

I'd pay $150 for a BH-260 (or 220) anyday

[edit] I always assumed the # was the @ 4 ohms wattage) [/edit]

7. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Check the user reviews on Harmonycentral.com (in the guitar amp section) for a nice review of the Acoustic 220 by Jay Storey. He used his for quite a few years with excellent results. He still has it and it works great.

I have its predicessor, the 450. I bought mine super cheap at a Music Go Round store..it was filthy but fully functional.

The amp has a nice warm '70s tone... While rated at (only) 170 watts into 2 ohms, that amp will blow your head off into an 8 ohm EVM 15. I used mine as a rehearsal amp and never had to really turn it up. It would have been fun to gig with it as I'm sure it would have had enough power for the too-loud classic rock/alternative cover band I was in...but I have my 2400 watt rack for that :D

The 450 is a dual purpose head with a lead/bass switch as well as a distortion circuit. It's a lot of fun to plug the 450 head into a 15 in EVM and play my P Bass through it.

And they're pretty too!!!

Have fun!

8. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    I have a BH-260 and love it. I'm sure a 220 would be swell too.

I'd buy a 220 for $150 if you found one and didn't want it.