Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lowering action on a bass withought truss rod!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Rose_of_Sharyn, Jul 30, 2005.

1. Well on one of my basses the strings are too high , so I took a look at it, and where your supposed to adjust the truss rod, there was nothing to adjust! Where it is supposed to be, its just filled up with the neck wood, like you see the outline where its supposed to be, but its not there, I guess its just a really cheap neck. Is there anything else I can do???

2. Well you can lower the string height at the bridge, but other than that, you're kinda sunk. If you really want to take it to the extremes, you can file the nut and the frets down and see what you get. I'd recommend getting some good tools to do the frets with though.

3. stingray96191

stingray96191

Jul 27, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Unofficially Endorsing Ernie Ball Music Man Guitars
    you may have to remove the neck to adjust the truss rod. many older basses are like this.

4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    As with old Fenders, your trussrod adjustment is probably at the other end of the neck. If you're lucky, you might find an access channel under your pickguard, otherwise, you'll have to remove the neck, tweak, then return neck to bass.

5. How do I go about that?
    And thanks for everyone elses help as well.

6. On the bridge, there are small screws on the saddles. You'll need a very small allen wrench to tighten/loosen them. Here is a picture to help explain. (If your bridge is not like this... sorry!)

[​IMG]

7. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Use a shim.

8. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Since no one has done it yet, this is the point in this thread where I tell you to go to the top of the setup forum and check the stickies. There one up there with a few links to sites with "how to set up your bass" that includes all the info about trussrod adjustment and action/intonation adjustment.

Not as a slag on you, but from the questions you're asking, I think that's a logical first step.