Lowering bridge pickup

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Bardolph, Feb 1, 2003.

1. Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I have a lakland skyline with 2 bartolini humbuckers and I like to pluck right over the bridge pickup. I also like low action and it puts the d and g strings very close to the pickup which makes it hard to play there dynamically. If I were to lower that end, should I lower the other end and maybe lower the other pickup?
  2. Try lowering the bridge pickup, possibly even drop the side under the D and G strings and see if that helps.

You could lower both of them, not too much if the other strings are okay..

3. the action comes first and then the pickup height
    if your bass comes with instructions on how to set the pickup heights it will mention distance from string and not body
    there is probably an optimum setting of about 3/16"-1/8" (2-3mm)with the strings fretted at the highest fret.??
    i find with bridge pups you dont get nearly as much output as with the neck one, like for like, but you cant have it all ways and there is a point below which the pup is not giving its best so lowering the neck one too far is out.
    on my MM bartolini the G and D were almost touching the pup but i didnt play over the pup so it was not a problem.:)