Lowering my strings...?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Bardolph, Aug 2, 2002.

1. Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
  2. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    this looks like a job for...

(a.k.a. moved to setup)
  3. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    There's 2 ways you can lower your strings. One is to straighten the neck. Assuming the neck is not bowed, however, you'll obviously need to adjust the bridge.

Unfortunately, the bridge looks like it'll need to be shaved down to lower the strings at the bridge.
  4. indeed...make sure you get any abnormal bow out of the neck and sand away! you could also file down the nut a smidge...
  5. Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Bah, why does my bass have to leave me the hard way do do things =P
  6. Because you probably have one of the coolest and rarest basses on this board. Its like an exotic car or a supermodel girlfriend, you can't keep them running right is you only service them at Wal Mart.

Its not a hard job but you do need to be very patient, and take you time, a few to many swipes with sandpaper and you have to get a new nut and start over.
  7. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Two very simple steps will put your action at any heigth that you want. Niether involves irreversible grinding away at the nut or the bridge.

First check the relief in the neck. Adjust it if needed with the truss rod.

Next, adjust the neck tilt/angle to the desired action heigth.

If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, take it to a good repair person. The adjustments can easily be made in less than half an hour so it shouldn't be very expensive to have done.