Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lowering my strings??

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by ToxBass, Feb 16, 2003.

1. ToxBass

ToxBass

Feb 3, 2003
    Monroe, LA
    Hey all, recently I have noticed that one of my basses I have had for a while is developing a bow shape in the neck, causing my strings to be well higher than I would like them....can someone explain to me how I might go about lowering them??
    Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out!

2. Is it the bow thats causing the strings to be high, or are the strings high anyway? A small bow is normal and often prefered!

See if you can lower your strings in other ways first, like adjusting the string saddles on the bridge. Messing with your neck is a good way to ruin it, I'd say that if you DO need to adjust your neck, take it to a pro, and ask if you can watch how they adjust it.

3. ToxBass

ToxBass

Feb 3, 2003
    Monroe, LA
    Hey bro, thanks for some ideas! I'll fiddle around w/ my saddles and see if that helps any, and if not, I'll just take it to a prob! :) :bassist:

4. Ziggy

Ziggy

May 9, 2001
    Orange County, CA
    Tox,

Perhaps moot point... I've only recently "registered", but if your 'neck is bowing', that's most likely a truss rod adjustment.

-My bass was getting the neck wacked out / in as the Santa Ana's would come and go... suddenly the outdoor temperature would be 12 - 15 degrees warmer!

Be sure that, if you're not already, to store your bass in a solid case (not the 'gig' bag). If you're not up to speed on neck set-ups, you may best take it to someone that is.

michael s.