1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

lowering strings

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by billplaysbass4u, Dec 12, 2006.

1. billplaysbass4u

billplaysbass4u

Dec 8, 2006
    Tacoma
    :bassist: I have several basses and want to know if I adjust the bridge down and not back or forward will it affect the intonation at the higher end?

2. ZolkoW

ZolkoW

May 8, 2006
    Hungary, EU
    a bit - yes.
    because if you push down a string, you rise the tension, and the amount of change (in tension) depends how high the string was before (ahh, my English again... I hope it makes sense :meh: :) )

anyway, if the change isn't too much at the bridge (+/- 1..maybe 2mm), you shouldn't bother :)

3. get the strings where they are comfortable and not buzzing, then check the intonation. if its off adjust the saddles back and forth till you get it in.......

a general rule of thumb for quick intonation is on the note when plucked open, on the note at the 12th fret harmonic, and either on key or just ever so slightly sharp when you fret the string at the 12th