1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Lowering the Pickups?

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by ElizabethC, Aug 24, 2007.

1. ElizabethC

ElizabethC

Aug 24, 2007
    New York City
    I have a G&L Tribute L-2500 Premium and am having a horrible time setting the intonation. After doing some research on here, however, I noticed that many recommended to lower the pickups when having problems with intonation.

So, I was wondering...how would I go about doing this properly (and without breaking anything)? Also, by lowering the pickups, will it affect the nice, growly sound of my bass drastically?

2. spideyjg

spideyjg

Mar 19, 2006
    San Diego
    I run mine stoopidly high. I like just to where the strings don't hit the poles.

Intonation is dead on to the 12th fret but a bit tweaky higher up.

Jim

tilting003.

3. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    I lower mine all the way to get my favorite tone but didn'thave any intonation issues before.

4. honeyboy

honeyboy

Oct 31, 2004
    I set mine to factory specs and have no intonation problems.(mine is a USA L2000) To adjust ,just use a screwdriver and see what happens.There are 4 screws on the outside edge of the pick-ups. Screw clockwise to lower, counterclockwise to raise. Do both sides, measure the distance you want from the strings, test your intonation, and there you go. I don't think you'll ruin anything. If that doesn't work, maybe you need to examine the saddles to see if you have enough room to move them. Don't get mad if you've already done that.:) If that doesn't work, spend $25.00 and let a repairman at a guitar store do it for you.

5. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    I have taken them low and I think you lose some fullness when doing that. Too high is bad too. Start with factory specs and play around IME. If you intonation is off, replace the string. If they are old strings, that may be your problem.

Dave

6. ElizabethC

ElizabethC

Aug 24, 2007
    New York City
    I have lowered the pickups some bit as you guys have suggested and that greatly helped reduce the problem on the G, D, A, and E strings. (According to my tuner, it's just slightly sharp still when I press on the twelfth fret; but it's not a noticeable problem.) As for the B string, however, I'm still having major problems with getting the intonation correct on that one. Starting from the tenth fret up, everything is sharp -- to the point that, at the twelfth fret, it's in between being a "B" and "C."

Oh, and by the way, I'm using a new set of Elixir Nanowebs.

7. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    How are you adjusting your intonation? If you are getting sharp at the 12, you need to move the bridge saddle farther from the neck.

Dave

8. ElizabethC

ElizabethC

Aug 24, 2007
    New York City
    I adjusted the bridge saddle of the B string quite far back before I tried lowering the pickups. It's at the point where I'm having a hard time turning the screw any further.

So, I'm at a point of desperation. Any other tricks you all know of to fix this problem?

By the way, thanks for all of the help thus far! I really appreciate it!

9. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Cut the B string adjust screw down, or swap for one of the other saddle's screws that is shorter...
    It is possible to have a bad new string as well.

If you post your location someone close by might be able to pop in and have a look, if that suited you; or recommend someone reputable in your area.

10. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    EC, (I pm'd you on this earlier). I had exactly the same "1/2-step" problem on my 2500, which was one of the first ones some years ago. The right note was in there somewhere but was being killed by overtones. Intonation adjustments did not fix it. Lowering the pickup and trying different strings helped, as some strings seem better than others. I was never able to solve it completely, though. Tom

11. ElizabethC

ElizabethC

Aug 24, 2007
    New York City
    Chef, I'm located in New York City; so, if worse comes to worse and I can't fix this, I could take it to a shop and get it looked at.

Thanks for the help and suggestions. I'll try swapping the screw for a shorter one and see whether that does the trick.