1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

LPB finishes appear to vary from bass to bass...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KingRazor, Nov 30, 2010.

1. I've seen some of the most gorgeous lake placid blue finishes on some basses...While on others, not so much.

Anyone else noticed this?

Also, speaking of LPB finishes, where can I find one that looks like this?

lpb66JBass-1-w.

2. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Age seems to be a factor - old ones get greenish.

I too am a LPB fan...

3. aging, exposure to sunlight, and the fact that it is a metallic, it will always look different in different situations, and they are almost impossible to capture on camera like you see it live.
    Same thing with Ocean Turquoise, try to describe it :)

4. I know I don't like the LPB finish on the Squier CV P bass, but I absolutely love the finish on my youth pastor's Fender strat. Perhaps fender uses a different consistancy in their LPB finish than Squier?

5. LDonnie

LDonnie

Aug 3, 2008
    Netherlands
    The color is hard to capture on camera, but I agree they differ from bass to bass. As to your question, I think Sandberg catches the color you look for. [​IMG]

6. I believe you are correct sir :D

7. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

A near impossibility: You'd need to line up the LPB basses you want to try out and at the same time evaluate color.

Trusting photos from numerous internet sources & lighting isn't going to be a good indicator of how well the finish looks or holds up.

Coming outta the factory, the LPB's are probably consistent. If you're lookin' from all eras of build, you best be holdin' it in yer hands.

8. As said age, and back in the day I think the way it was mixed could change it batch to batch,

9. cripula

cripula

Dec 20, 2006
    Canada
    Vintage LPB had a clear coat which yellows with age... and things like smoky rooms etc all had an effect.
    Mine has likely seen a smoky bar or 2 in it's day. The paint in the neck pocket is still virgin LPB.

2494191138_e85566ccba_z.

10. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    some of them are very light blue with alot of silver in them, while others have a deeper blue (which is what i prefer). vintage nitro ones usually darken with age and have a slight greenish tint. when i shoot one, i just mix in the translucent blue until the color looks correct to me. then there's the technique. when applying the color coat, if it's shot very dry and lightly, it will have a more silver-ish look, and shot wetter it brings out the blue more.