1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

LPB1 Vs. Micro Amp

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by andvari7, Sep 23, 2008.

1. andvari7

andvari7

Aug 28, 2004
    Ennui
    I've done some searching, and came up with nothing really substantial.

At any rate, I was wondering what the real differences between the MXR Micro Amp and the EHX Nano LPB1 are. Aside from availability (EHX is something I can get at GC Madison, and MXR is non-existent), and price (the LPB1 costs $40, and the MXR costs $80), what else?

2. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    I can't comment on the MXR Micro Amp as I've never used one. But I do own the EHX Nano LPB-1 and I think its great. I got it mainly for playing leads over bass loops and I find it does a suitable job. I keep my bass synth wah and my overdrive right before it for an extra boost.

3. mikeboth

mikeboth The last thing you'll ever see

Jun 14, 2002
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Operator: prophecysound systems
    The LPB1 is a transistor-based boost, whereas the Micro Amp is opamp-based. Some people might suggest a transistor-based boost is better because of it's simplicity, i.e. less parts -> less 'signal modification'.

The Micro Amp also has a higher input impedance, which may or may not be a desirable feature for you.

4. irvinz

irvinz

Nov 23, 2006
    Australia
    has too much gas
    lpb-1 is more to a dark boost imho

5. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    Check out the Catalinbread Serrano Picoso, great clean boost and the smallest pedal on the planet - bit harder to find, but I got mine for $60 2nd hand.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Bass players actually use the LPB-1 now? Back in the day, people used them to squeeze an extra decibel or ten out of underpowered guitar amps. It usually resulted in an ugly squealing mess. What do bassists use them for now?

7. OptimusPrime

OptimusPrime

Mar 30, 2008
    Florida
    I built a LPB-1 made to look like a MicroAmp. :bag:

8. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Some folks put them at the end of a long pedal chain to boost the signal back up.

9. andvari7

andvari7

Aug 28, 2004
    Ennui
    That was what I had planned for it.

10. 250GBsOfAwesome

250GBsOfAwesome

Jul 11, 2008
    I've got an LPB-1 from my guitar playin' days. It's okay for bass, nothing I can complain about, it does what it needs to.

11. mikeboth

mikeboth The last thing you'll ever see

Jun 14, 2002
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Operator: prophecysound systems
    Unless some interaction is needed between the pickups of the bass and a pedal at the beginning of your chain (fuzz factory), you are probably better off having a buffer / booster as the first pedal to better drive the effects (or not-quite-true-bypbass of the effects) afterwards. At the very least, it's worthy of experimentation.

12. thesteve

thesteve

May 28, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    I've been using it for when I need an extra little "oomph" in my signal...

though FWIW, I don't use it too often.

13. andvari7

andvari7

Aug 28, 2004
    Ennui
    It's a moot point, I guess, because I purchased an LPB-1 this evening. I should probably get a job that I actually like, because every time I hate work, I end up getting a pedal to console myself, and I usually get something ridiculously expensive or obscure: read my consumer report, "Who Names Their Kids Clyde Anymore? An Initial Review of the Fulltone Clyde Deluxe Wah" for more information.

14. K2000

K2000

Nov 16, 2005
    Brooklyn
    When I was looking for a boost, I believe I read that the MXR is somewhat louder (+25 dB I believe?) and is cleaner. The LPB adds a little bit of coloration (is that a word?) to your signal, and is not quite as loud. (That's from memory -- I may be mistaken).

15. andvari7

andvari7

Aug 28, 2004
    Ennui
    But the key here is availability, and the LPB wins, hands down. I'll admit, I'd rather own the MXR, because MXR pedals have paint on them, and the EHX Nanos don't. It fits my Amazing Technicolor Nightmare Pedalboard motif perfectly.

16. andvari7

andvari7

Aug 28, 2004
    Ennui
    Appropriately colored or not, the LPB-1 certainly sounds good. And, for some strange reason, the current wiring configuration for Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Nighmare Pedalboard sounds worlds better with the LPB-1 at the front of the chain.